Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cap & Ball Revolvers...  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Cap & Ball Revolvers...
« on: November 25, 2019, 04:06:02 PM »
Ohio Joe, I'm pretty sure the two of us are not the only users of Black Powder Revolvers on this forum, so I started a new thread.
I know Rondo also shoots these guns, so maybe we can generate a little interest for those just getting started.

My new Walker is getting a new paper cartridge former from Tim, along with plastic templates for cutting them out.
This one will be for a roundball. I still haven't recieved my new mould for the original Dow Johnston Colt conical bullet.
My results using the Lee conical just hasn't been up to expectations...5 or 6" at 20 yds just doesn't cut the muster for me when I can do half that with a roundball!!

I have rolled cartridges with everything from Zip Cigarette Papers to Coffee Filters, and Coffee Filters soaked in "Stump Killer" then hung put to dry before cutting work best for me.

I have some pictures on my phone that are fair, not the best, but fair, that shows a few groups with 40gr FFFg, and a .454 ball that I will post as soon as I find my USB cable.
I did fire 6 shots using 50gr FFFg at a tin can, and that's a whole new ball game with that big heavy Walker.
No wonder the Texas Rangers had major problems with 60 gr.
That truly must make for a handful of gun!
No wonder they called it a "Horse Pistol".
BTW: I've hinted around to my daughters that a 1851 Colt would certainly make a nice Christmas present... :toast
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Spotted Bull

Re: Cap & Ball Revolvers...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
Russ if you have your email on your phone you can email yourself the pictures, and then open the email on the computer and download them. I do it all the time.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 06:05:50 PM »
I've done the same thing with my Ipad.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »
We kind'a go in spurts with this BP Revolvers in discussing them here at the TMA, but there is a'lot to learn from all who shoot them - that's for sure!  :bl th up

I have never had a cigarette paper rolled "ball" cartridge ever fail to go off with any hesitation that I've shoved the whole "folded end" into the base of the chamber,,, but,,, I use #11 RWS Hot Caps and I pick each Nipple before capping. (granted, I do not get complete paper burn - but had never given that much thought... I normally take a Q-Tip and pull the un-burned paper cartridge out of each chamber...

Now with the above said, I will be switching to nitrated paper for future reloads as it only makes sense to do so and eliminate two loading steps (digging out the paper residue left in the chamber [regardless of how little there is], and picking the nipples prior to capping.

I'll also note that I would use #10 caps - but they're mighty scares in this part of the country - and the #11's work just fine with a little pinch.

I really like my one '58 Remington Army Model as I have 2 spare cylinders for that one made by Pietta, but I don't care much for the grip... Love the '51 Navy colt, and '61 Navy Sheriffs Model. They just feel right in my hand...

A good winter's project this year would be to make some paper cartridges.  :hairy 

By the way,,, I've only shot a Walker Colt once and that was at a Rendezvous. Had to shoot ol' Diamond Jack in the heart for cheating at cards... You know that didn't even faze the ol' Rascal because the guys behind me had to shoot him too for cheating at cards... lol!!! 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »
I used to just really enjoy the c&b revolvers.  Started out with a Hawes 1851 Sheriff Model in .36 cal.  It was probably 1969 or 1970 when I got that.  That was really a shooter, but it kinda fell apart, brass frame and all.
Then I got an 1858 Remington all steel, and that was a great pistol.
Somewhere along the line I got a Walker for no reason except I saw it for sale at a gun show.  It was a lot of fun, but I could never get 60 grains of powder into the chambers, plus a .454 ball, more like 50 or so.
Then I started distributing Uberti revolvers and each shipment I would pull a different pistol out of the order to add to my collection.  Wound up with one each of all the c&b revolvers they made.  Pretty impressive display.
Ruger Old Army's?  Probably have had a dozen of them over the years.  Always the best shooters.
I also had a Rogers and Spencer at one time and I really liked that one.  Very smooth and crisp.  Shot OK, but was never as good as any of the Rugers.
Now, I just have one little 1862 Police and I have never shot that at all.  I have probably had it for 10 years +/-.  Just too darn lazy to clean them anymore, I guess.
When I did shoot them, I never used pre-rolls, always poured powder out of the flask, then a Wonder Wad, then the ball.  I only put grease on top of the ball a few times, then switched over to wads.  Always used #10 caps and even with those, I would give them a little pinch.  I have had one chain fire one time, and it was my fault.  I loaded two chambers but I didn't cap the second chamber.  It surely went boom!!!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
I have a couple that were given to me that I need to sell I reckon. Both need more work done to them than I can do. Heck I think that one of them is actually in a couple of ziplock bags. :Doh!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »
I have 3 1858 revolvers, and love'em.  :bl th up

I've also had a couple of Colt revolvers over the years, but passed them on.
I've never tried "rolling my own" paper cartridges, but may play around with doing so in the future.
My favorite load in my 1858's is,.... 30 grs. fffg, followed by a "pea-sized" ball of stiff lube (made from sheep tallow, a bit of beeswax, and some olive oil),... followed by a .454 round ball.  :bl th up

I shot my "Mike Fink" target this year with one of my 1858's (instead of a rifle, due to a rotator cuff injury in my left shoulder), and Blackpowder Bill, and I, managed to win 1st. place in that shoot.  :applaud  :toast
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
I have 3 1858 revolvers, and love'em.  :bl th up

I've also had a couple of Colt revolvers over the years, but passed them on.
I've never tried "rolling my own" paper cartridges, but may play around with doing so in the future.
My favorite load in my 1858's is,.... 30 grs. fffg, followed by a "pea-sized" ball of stiff lube (made from sheep tallow, a bit of beeswax, and some olive oil),... followed by a .454 round ball.  :bl th up

I shot my "Mike Fink" target this year with one of my 1858's (instead of a rifle, due to a rotator cuff injury in my left shoulder), and Blackpowder Bill, and I, managed to win 1st. place in that shoot.  :applaud  :toast

Rondo, in my .44's ('58 Remington's) My paper cartridges run; 28.7 grns 3fg w/ .3cc of cream of wheat on top that, then a .454 ball (glue sticked) in on top the charged inside the paper cartridge... I can't find my load data for my .36's... Got'a be around here somewhere...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
I have about a dozen. Ranging from snubbie to Revolving Rifle.
Unlike many folks I prefer the Remington over the Colt.
Here are a couple of my latest additions.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

IronHand

You'n me both!  :hairy :toast :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
We compete with them in the North South Skirmish Association. If I had to rank what's most popular, it would probably be a tie between 1858 Remington and Rogers & Spencer. Colts are down the list, but there was a team that used only LeMats.

There are a couple smiths in the Association that accurize these critters. Often a repop cylinder is bored undersize to the barrel and has to be opened up. Then there is often an issue with the forcing cone. Timing is often off and needs to be corrected. Finally, many of the stock repop barrels aren't up to target work. I've seen 1858s that were completely worked over shoot 1in groups at 25yds from a rest and that's not uncommon.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
My CVA always shot high.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »
My CVA always shot high.

They were designed that way back in the day. The troops were taught center mass hold so a bullet going high on a belt buckle hold is a chest shot and would still guarantee a hit at distance. For target work, this is obviously a problem.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

IronHand
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 03:58:47 PM »
I've only owned two and they are gone to new homes.  The first was a 1858 Remmy and a Rogers and Spencer decades later.  The 1858 was a Navy Arms purchase in the late 1960s.  I fired it a lot and made my most spectacular c&b shot with that good gun.  With a witness standing next to me I shot a buzzard out of the sky with one shot.  The R&S was maybe the most accurate, as it would put 6 shots under 2" at 25 yards.  I now only have a flint pistol.  My holy grail is a .36 Colt 1862 Pocket Police.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.