Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Tophats  (Read 3129 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Tophats
« on: January 03, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
I’ve a question for the group, did top hats say 1780-1820 have a sewn binding around the rim?
Tia, ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Tophats
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:28:03 AM »
Dan,.... in an attempt to answer your question, I did several quick searches and came up with zilch.
There just doesn't seem to be much info available on exactly how top hats were constructed. Actually that surprised me a bit.  :shake

Maybe you could contact someone who makes and offers custom hats of that period, for some answers.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 03:16:59 AM »
Thanks Rondo,for earlier fur trade scenes, I always thought a top hat looked neat on a common man or tradesman, even if rough around the edges. Mite be just that I recall some cool artwork from the period(Rickenbacker)idk.  I happened into one for only the second time that I can ever remember( that is old),and even stranger, it fit. I walked away not wanting to rush into it for the asking price, but called a few days later to see if a trade was possible :laffing,negatory ,but, it was then 30% off.
I am convinced it is of quality and is beaver felt. Research is in order [ Invalid Attachment ]
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Spotted Bull

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
I've got a hat just about identical to that one and I love it. Mine bnb is a bit taller I believe. I believe that they were worn on the edges of the frontier. I've read somewhere that they were but cant for the life of me remember where I read it.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »
IMO,.... that's a fine lookin' hat!  :hairy :)

Some of the pictures I found of original late 1700's-early 1800's top hats, looked to have brims with a small sharply "rolled" edge,.... in some other original drawings of the times, the details of the drawings make it difficult to tell if the top hat's brim was curled/rolled, or, edged. 
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ] The ? of the"binding rim on a top hat " = depends on several factors !! What quality was the hat ? ($) Was the Hat a "beaver" or "felt (??) Where was the hat made (US, Can, Brit. ---)Was the hat meant to be sold to the "men of quality" ETC, ETC ---

If You are an "NWC/HBC (or other fur trade Co.s) "Freak", as I am = You knot that TOP HATS where WORN + Sold in the Posts, Ft. etc.

1. Clerks- Owners dressed according to their "station" in "normal society"  (in fact the HBC Required it !!!) ergo = if they normally wore a top hat amongst their peers., they wore one as a trader !!
2. NWC voyageurs wore top hats (as did some PFC "voyageurs") {there are a #"period" paintings & sketches that show }
3. Sometimes the hats were decorated. In 1806, a list of Rocky Mountain House trade goods included three 'laced' hats (trimmed with gold or silver 'lace' or military braid) and two 'bound' hats . An 1807 and 1808 order form for the Columbia Department of the NWC also included 'velvet bound hats'. { Pictures (attatched)1,2,3 show an an "actual"existing" HBC
(it is a beaver & it  sold for $3,5oo++) {pic #3 is a existing HBC beaver(non decorated) --- NOTE the "rims"!!

SO - if you "enact" a "Company Man" (top to bottom) a Top Hat maybe needed !
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 12:23:53 PM »
Most gawd awful thing a man could have worn for a comfortable/useful head cover!! :Doh! ::)
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Puffer

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »
Most gawd awful thing a man could have worn for a comfortable/useful head cover!! :Doh! ::)
Agree !!!
In fact even though my "persona" = a "company Man"(& above "clerk ", I do not own or wear a top hot ( I wear a Scottish Tam) :Doh!
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 01:23:35 PM »
Thank you for chiming in Puffer,for an hour or two this morning researching tophats,time period and styles, most everyone that is credited to the time period has either a rolled edge or more commonly a sewnbinded edge.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Spotted Bull

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »

I love my top hat! After I finally found one that came close to fitting (I wear a size 8 ) and getting it stretched just a little, mine is as comfortable as my old straw hat.

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »
Like fashion  today, useful and practical  are not considerations in stlye.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Puffer

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
 :lol sign :lol sign :toast
:lol sign  :hairy  :lol sign
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »
:laffing :laffing
I understand function over fashion but its another aspect of a historical interpritation that I will use. They are worn in many period paintings in alot of different scenarios.
A couple of examples of originals, late 1700's early 1800's
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Einsiedler

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »
Probably one of the most worn hats by the common man from 1790 to 1820. They had changed a lot by 1830. But they were still popular.  ( I’m not sayin’ EVERYBODY wore one, but they were almost that popular). What at the time was known as a round hat. Not to be confused with the earlier rev war type hat of the same name. Everybody wore them. From pauper to the social elite. The Navy, Army, militia, and all. I suggest you check in with Hatter Matthew Brenckle ( he has only a facebook page). IMHO, one of the best authorities on 18th and 19th century headgear.  His facebook page is a public page. Look at some of his work.

Offline Einsiedler

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »
Addendum !

If you wish to see some good examples of pre-1840 Round hats, check out Cody’s Mobley’s public facebook page. This was from an 1820-30’s event this past November. (Yes I realize this predates the ambrotype. But they do look nicer than a polaroid!😁).

https://m.facebook.com/RubyAmbrotypes/

Cody even made some of these hats.

The main issue I think that presents itself is many obtain a hat perfect for an 1850-1870 impression when they are trying to do a much earlier impression. To many, this is ok and I don’t care one way or the other. But to others, they wish to do things correct.

The information is out there. Just a matter of homework if you so desire.