Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Tennessee Rifle Build

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote from: Ohio Joe on January 20, 2020, 10:33:14 PM ---... and I'll admit that there's some parts I cringed at when he went after that stock with one hell-ov-a file (I've got a couple myself) where he chooses to use that file,,,
--- End quote ---

Joe, I probably cringed just as bad when Wallace Gussler went after the stock of the rifle he was building in "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" with a tomahawk.  In today's world, that piece of pretty wood probably would sell for $500 or more.

I remember back in the late 1970's our club acquired it on loan from the Library (16 millameter film) and we showed it for the general public at the Washington Water Power building in Coeur d'Alene..  It was a full house.  When Wallace started hacking on the wood with that tomahawk, there was a collective gasp from the audience.

John (Bigsmoke)

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: John Shorb on May 03, 2020, 07:53:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ohio Joe on January 20, 2020, 10:33:14 PM ---... and I'll admit that there's some parts I cringed at when he went after that stock with one hell-ov-a file (I've got a couple myself) where he chooses to use that file,,,
--- End quote ---

Joe, I probably cringed just as bad when Wallace Gussler went after the stock of the rifle he was building in "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" with a tomahawk.  In today's world, that piece of pretty wood probably would sell for $500 or more.

I remember back in the late 1970's our club acquired it on loan from the Library (16 millameter film) and we showed it for the general public at the Washington Water Power building in Coeur d'Alene..  It was a full house.  When Wallace started hacking on the wood with that tomahawk, there was a collective gasp from the audience.

John (Bigsmoke)

--- End quote ---

:laffing I bet they did... When I first saw that video I thought "No Way" am I ever gonna do that!!! Of course that's the difference between a real builder like Wallace Gussler,,, and a weekend butcher like me... :shake

That's still a great video to watch. It's timeless!!!  :hairy  Let's have another look, John

Winter Hawk:
Thank you, Joe.  I had never seen that before, and it was very educational!  Amazing how young he looks....

~Kees~

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Winter Hawk on May 04, 2020, 07:50:36 PM ---Thank you, Joe.  I had never seen that before, and it was very educational!  Amazing how young he looks....

~Kees~

--- End quote ---

Kees, you may enjoy this read about Wallace Gussler, and how he got his start in traditional muzzleloading... And yes, he started young.  :shake

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/Published/wallaceretires_mb.htm

Winter Hawk:
Thanks Joe!  :toast Interesting man.  :bl th up

~Kees~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version