Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: TMA Facebook - boy oh boy  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
TMA Facebook - boy oh boy
« on: February 17, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »
I was over on our FB page, and this poor guy has a "shot out" stuck Nipple problem, and that's all he has... While a few have offered up good advice, I bet 90% of the comments probably has this guy scared to death he's gonna blow himself up because his drum has some surface rust from the caps and powder spraying on it, from hammer blow back... His old Nipple is shot out and causing the hammer to blow back,,, which in turn is splashing over spray onto the top outside corner of his drum...

Anyway,

I sent this feller the message below over on FB after one of several posts I read telling this guy "you got'a pipe bomb in your hands" - I wouldn't trust that drum, and so on...

Lance, come over to our Traditional Muzzleloading Association Forum and ask for Ohio Joe, and I'll talk you through this "Nipple" problem... Here on Facebook there are way to many cooks in the kitchen... Your problem is not unique and it is quite fixable.

Facebook (a home for breeding miss information IMHO)...

Some know what they're talking about, but not many...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: TMA Facebook - boy oh boy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 05:57:23 PM »
That's sad!

Good job inviting him over here where he can get some logical advice.  :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 06:36:22 PM »
Thanks Rondo  :bl th up

I hope he takes me up on it 'cause my last "check in" over there on FB looks as if they've tried to befuddle him even more with IMHO a routine removal of a shot out stuck Nipple... Some people are telling this guy to pull the Drum and put a new one in... Hell, it's a bolster style and I was at least able to catch that one and tell him "Do not pull that drum"

I also told those posters (the ones painting this bleak picture for the poor guy) to quit scarring the hell of him over a simple fix...

Facebook is no place to seek gunsmith information IMHO... It's best to come here where we can get it sorted out the right way.

:shake

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 07:10:03 PM »
 :hairy :hairy
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »
Ok, I talked with Lance over on Facebook Messenger, and he thanked me for the advice, and the invite to the TMA Forum...

This is his first venture into traditional muzzleloading for hunting purposes...  He told me that they are normally modern high power firearm hunters... I mentioned to him to follow the advice I gave him on Facebook and that all should work out ok...  So, if nothing else we planted some seeds.  :bl th up

-on the other side-

I have to say that this info he was receiving over there on TMA FB from some of those guys was simply ridiculous to the point of most having no idea what they were talking about...

When I see things like this, I have to ask myself - is this what the TMA really wants, piss-poor info given out on FB from people that simply don't have a clue?

Fortunately, at least half of us did have a clue about this feller's situation with his muzzle loading rifle, and it was easy enough to tell that... It's that other 50% that were pissin' in the wind... I'm gonna say it now, I'm not so sure the TMA should even be affiliated with FB... It's nothing more then a breeding ground for many a know nothing know it all's...

Just my opinion.  :shake   

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:35:01 PM »
I certainly agree 100% with you.  We don't really need to be there.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 10:51:52 PM »

I have to say that this info he was receiving over there on TMA FB from some of those guys was simply ridiculous to the point of most having no idea what they were talking about...

When I see things like this, I have to ask myself - is this what the TMA really wants, piss-poor info given out on FB from people that simply don't have a clue?

Fortunately, at least half of us did have a clue about this feller's situation with his muzzle loading rifle, and it was easy enough to tell that... It's that other 50% that were pissin' in the wind... I'm gonna say it now, I'm not so sure the TMA should even be affiliated with FB... It's nothing more then a breeding ground for many a know nothing know it all's...

That's my opinion. I have friends in the ML community that frequent the various ML-type pages, and its the same thing at all of them. And while I no longer have a FB account, I believe we should get out while we can. What if someone follows the bad advice given and gets seriously injured or God-forbid dead? How will that reflect on "the real TMA" here on this forum?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 11:02:36 PM »

That's my opinion. I have friends in the ML community that frequent the various ML-type pages, and its the same thing at all of them. And while I no longer have a FB account, I believe we should get out while we can. What if someone follows the bad advice given and gets seriously injured or God-forbid dead? How will that reflect on "the real TMA" here on this forum?

BINGO!!  :hairy :hairy

That's something we should all be very concerned about!  :shake
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 11:08:43 PM »
John & Bull,

After seeing this and experiencing it first hand, I agree 100% with the both of you...

I feel what Spotted Bull said, and I quote;

What if someone follows the bad advice given and gets seriously injured or God-forbid dead?

This is a very telling comment that should be given "a'lot" of thought.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 11:16:20 PM »
Rondo, I see we both had the same thought almost at the same time, of what John & Bull pointed out!

And these comments here need to be taken very seriously. No one can read every post made on FB, so there's no telling how much false and potential damaging info is out there that could indeed lead to someone getting injured or worse.

And to a lesser extent, what if someone follows bad advice and it ends up destroying a $2000.00 muzzleloading firearm and that person who's pride and joy goes to court over it not only naming the person who gave him/her the bad advice, but also names TMA Facebook as well for providing a platform for that bad advice???

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 11:59:55 PM »
Rondo, I see we both had the same thought almost at the same time, of what John & Bull pointed out!

And these comments here need to be taken very seriously. No one can read every post made on FB, so there's no telling how much false and potential damaging info is out there that could indeed lead to someone getting injured or worse.

And to a lesser extent, what if someone follows bad advice and it ends up destroying a $2000.00 muzzleloading firearm and that person who's pride and joy goes to court over it not only naming the person who gave him/her the bad advice, but also names TMA Facebook as well for providing a platform for that bad advice???

:hairy :hairy
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
I read the same thread and all I can say is... wow. There are some folks out there who will make a mountain out of a mole hill or pass out completely erroneous information.

That said, I think getting out of social media is a mistake. It's a fact of modern life that many of the people we'd like to reach and introduce to shooting our favorite type of guns are creatures of the times in that social media is a dominant form of communication. We have that issue over in the North South Skirmish Association to some degree. More than a few of our members don't do email, internet, forums or FB. You want new blood in the group, got to use the communications channels commonly in use. Last time I looked, morse telegraphy, semaphore and smoke signals are not used for common modern communications. So perhaps if someone could curate that FB group to weed out misinformation? Just trying to think of a way to keep an internet presence for black powder shooting and tamp down the misinformation.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Spotted Bull

TMA Facebook - boy oh boy
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 05:21:19 AM »
Now that I've been away from Facebook for awhile, I'm wondering if there is a vetting process that can be done for folks to post to the TMA page?

I agree that we need a presence but maybe it could be a page were folks could come and see that we can have answers to their questions on this site, and not allow posts to the page?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 05:31:03 AM »
Now that I've been away from Facebook for awhile, I'm wondering if there is a vetting process that can be done for folks to post to the TMA page?

I agree that we need a presence but maybe it could be a page were folks could come and see that we can have answers to their questions on this site, and not allow posts to the page?

Rob has mentioned a facebook "read only" page a few times, so that might be a possibility.  :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »

Rob has mentioned a facebook "read only" page a few times, so that might be a possibility.  :bl th up

I agree completely that TMA FB should only be used as a directional tool to bring folks and questions here to the Forum. As it stands now (IMHO) there is way to much "incorrect" info passing through those TMA FB Pages... I don't mind so much if Traditional Muzzleloading Clubs want to list their events there - that's fine... In fact, I would encourage that, just as they can post them here on the Forum.