Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fire drill  (Read 1640 times)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
Fire drill
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »
Quarantine boredom has got to me.  So I started looking for stuff I have set aside for when I got one of those round-too-its.  Well I came across a big yucca stalk standing in a corner of the garage.  Oh yeah, I was going to make a new fire drill outta that! 
Making fire with a bow and drill is my favorite method anytime I am not in a speed contest.  You don't need any charred material, It's much easier than a hand drill and you can make one with a knife, some cord and materials found in the forest. 

Any soft, dry wood works for the drill and fire boards.  A boot lace can be used for the bow. Yucca is my preferred choice but I have used cedar and juniper.  I just place the fire board on top of the dry tinder and start drilling.  You get a nice glowing coal built up and it can't be put out. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Steve Sells

Online Winter Hawk

Re: Fire drill
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:37:41 PM »
I've read about fire drills, even had to participate in them at school - oh wait, wrong kind of fire drill!  :Doh!

We need a video of that in use!  Seriously, I have wanted to try making fire that way, but never did it.  I need inspiration, I guess....

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
I have plans to make several videos this spring & summer.  Fire starting is on the agenda.  Looking for a good wireless lapel microphone to use with my I-phone.  Any suggestions?
Steve Sells

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Out in my garage in a big plastic box I've got a collection of fire boards and drills made from yucca that look just like those. Lots of yucca in the mountains and deserts here in Arizona. I learned about fire drills on the same outing that introduced me to muzzleloaders.

Nothing like the feel of adrenaline the very first time you're working the fire drill with both ends of the drill staying where you want them and the bow moving smooth back and forth and you see the first few whisps of smoke rising up from the fireboard.  All at once you know your a real man  :laughing
 I'm looking forward to your videos.

Years ago I got tasked with demonstrating/teaching fire drills at a Scout Camporee.  A scout troop came by every 15 minutes to see the show.  Problem was there were 12 troops. My arm and shoulder were dead tired at the end, but I got a coal every time but the last. I was younger then. There's no way I could do that now.

Got one question.  For the top end of the drill I was taught to use a flat rock that fits in the palm of your hand with a concave side for the drill end.  (Even if you have to make the indentation in the rock yourself.)  What do you use for the top end of the drill?

If you can't get the fire goin'  :*: you'll still be warm from all the tryin'

SharpStick
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:51:19 PM »
"What do you use for the top end of the drill?"

Ideally it would be a river rock with a hole about halfway through it and just the right size and shape to fit your palm.  I'm still looking for one.  I've been using a block of hard wood instead.  Rub the spindle hole good with bar soap to lube it.  You still get some friction. but not too much.  Make the hole deep enough and the drill won't jump out of the bow.  Another thing that works real well is the glass dome out of an old coffee peculator.  Whittle a hole in a wooden block to insert it into. 

In the forest, when making one from scratch you won't have any prepared materials.  Just cut a green piece of wood harder than what you make the spindle and fire board from.  The sap in the green wood lubes it or just rub that end of the spindle against the sides of your nose to put some facial oil on it. 

On the fire board, I find it's faster to get a coal if you cut the V shaped notch wider at the bottom than the top.  It collects charred dust quicker and you get a larger coal. 
Steve Sells

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 10:56:33 AM »
 :hairy Thanks for sharing this...I have attempted making a fire with a fire drill, but have never had any success. I used cedar, but could never get a coal. After seeing your photos I am going to try again. I too like the fact that all the materials are normally available and you don't need char material. Thanks for the inspiration.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan