Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 1858 Army Revolver (Repair)  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
1858 Army Revolver (Repair)
« on: November 01, 2019, 06:21:17 PM »
This morning I got the old "Navy Arms 1858 Remington Army Revolver" out, just to handle it a bit and wipe 'er down... Well, by golly I went to put it on half-cock to spin the ol' cylinder, and the "Trigger & Stop Spring" broke...

Not a big deal as I've changed these out before,,, so I got on the ol' computer here and ordered 3 of 'em (have a couple spares on hand that way) from Dixie Gun Works... Got an email a'while ago and they've shipped already. I call that service!!!  :hairy

I bet it's been at least 30+ years since i had to replace one of these in any of my Revolvers - 'course I don't shoot 'em as much as I use to.

Had I known they would ship that fast, I would have never taken the Trigger & Stop Spring out'a the brass frame '58 Richland Arms Remington and put it in the Navy Arms this morning... Oh well... Parts are parts...  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Eddie Southgate

• TMA Forum Member
Re: 1858 Army Revolver (Repair)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »
Never busted a bolt and trigger spring on my Remington but I have replaced the hand spring several times in the last 50 years . It's a little more work but I usually make them from clock spring .

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: 1858 Army Revolver (Repair)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »
In the past, I don't think the "Trigger & Stop Spring" that were original to these replicas were very well made... Can't speak for the one's made today as I bet this is the first one I've had to change in 25 years, so they must of gotten better?  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska