Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Interesting news for Lyman lefties!  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Canuck Bob

• TMA Forum Member
Interesting news for Lyman lefties!
« on: June 08, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »
L&R got back to me regarding an upgrade for my Deerstalker.  They now produce a RPL 05LH for Lyman lefties.  They quoted $185 + SH.  That would be $300 CAD landed here tax in Canada.  Anyone care to share their experiences with the RPL series?

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Interesting news for Lyman lefties!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »
Hi Bob, welcome to the TMA
In 2009 I did a cap to flint conversion on an older cva mtn rifle using a rpl lock. Initial I had a little bit of an issue but it was because of a previous run of that lock that had some quality control issues. L&R fixed it and returned it to me very fast at no charge. I do believe those issues were addressed and have never heard of any problems since. And my lock is still going strong. I would never hesitate to buy an L& R product plus their customer service was outstanding
Ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 01:46:23 PM »
I've never used an L&R RPL lock, I have used a half dozen of their other locks on previous builds with never a problem with them! what seems to be the problem with your stock Lyman lock? Have rarely heard of any issues with them.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Canuck Bob

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
Beaverman here is an edited paste from another forum:

"The lock works but is a poor sparker. The geometry seems off. First I have to shim the flint with an extra leather pad and set it bevel down so it will hit the frizzen on the bottom quarter. The flint is set near the frizzen at half cock. When dropped it does not point at the centre of the pan as often recommended. It points behind the pan. The top jaw lock screw is drilled a little off so the top jaw floats without any contact on the cock to keep it aligned.

I did find my liner is too small. I'm going to open it to 1/16", it looks like a strong 1/32 now. The 6mm liner is coned and located fine.

The plan is still to shoot the rifle now that the range is open until winter. Then try my hand at tuning the lock. One nice thing, parts are available.  The RPL is tempting."

I simply want a good lock with a shower of sparks and a flat spring flint lock.  I have a plan for the Lyman lock if I pickup a RPL LH.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Interesting news for Lyman lefties!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »
I use L&R replacement on two of my T/C Hawken Caplocks, if they are any better, in any way, than the original T/C locks, I am not astute enough to see it, I use them soley because they seem to work better with Davis DDST Triggers,  which I do prefer 10x over the original T/C triggers.
I have owned several Lyman Rifles, both cap and flint, and I've never experienced any trouble, whatsoever certainly nothing like you have described.
Sorry I'm not much help, but it does sound to me that you may benefit from a replacement lock.
I have spent a lot of money over the years by having local "experts" repair my locks, and from my own silly mistakes trying to do it myself.
My suggestion is, if your lock ain't working, you just may be ahead of the game by getting a replacement.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »
I've heard only good things about L&R Replacement Locks, and I run a couple "not replacement" L&R Flintlocks on different builds - and I have to say, they are very dependable... I want to mention that I've never encountered a lock problem on my TC & Lyman Rifles (both flint or Cap)...

With the above said; I will say that I'm not overly impressed with other "offshore" flintlock locks' other then the Lyman line,,, but it is what it is and ya run what ya brung...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
I replaced the lock on a T-C Pennsylvania Hunter with the RPL lock and it was miles better than the original.  Fitting it was a bit of a hassle and you want to follow L&R's directions to file the lock plate to fit the mortise and not think it's easier to take the wood off to fit the lock plate.  Otherwise the pan may not be centered on or high enough to match the vent hole....  Don't ask me how I came to this realization!  The RPL lock worked fine and the flint struck the frizzen with authority!

Good luck on your project.  Opening up the vent should help a whole bunch with ignition!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025