Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Positive Flintlock Ignition  (Read 1158 times)

Spotted Bull

Positive Flintlock Ignition
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:35:28 PM »
Found this browsing Ebay. It's for those that have problems finding flints, or maybe your frozen isn't hardened correctly and you just cant get a spark to ignite that powder in your pan.

With this all you do, according to directions, is sprinkle some powder into the hole on the top, cap the nipple and the block in the frizzen jaws will strike the nipple and ignite the powder.

All this for $60.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Positive Flintlock Ignition
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 12:52:01 AM »
I'm speechless!  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 01:53:05 AM »
This might be a good thread to put in a plug for "Elk Killer" in Oklahoma,.... he's great at tuning flint locks and hardening frizzens properly. Just send him your flint lock, he'll check it over, and contact you about what your lock needs and a price for his services (before he starts any work on your lock).

Elk Killer has tuned a few of my locks, and I've been very satisfied with the work he's done on'em.  :)  :bl th up

Anyone wishing to contact "Elk Killer",... can PM me for his contact info.  :)  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
There is also the "Kyber" flint attachment that puts a roller in the cock jaws that strkes a lighter flint (like a Bic lighter) to put sparks in the pan.  the frizzen has a piece of felt glued to the face to provide friction for the roller as the cock falls.  I had to buy one of these  just to see how it worked.  Believe it or not, it worked as advertised, but I would never put it on one of my guns.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 08:02:51 AM »
There is also the "Kyber" flint attachment that puts a roller in the cock jaws that strkes a lighter flint (like a Bic lighter) to put sparks in the pan.  the frizzen has a piece of felt glued to the face to provide friction for the roller as the cock falls.  I had to buy one of these  just to see how it worked.  Believe it or not, it worked as advertised, but I would never put it on one of my guns.

I think I have seen those. The ingenuity of people is amazing, especially when looking for a short cut that "fixes" something that has worked for 100's of years.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 10:06:28 AM »
Oh, the "fixes" for recalcitrant flintlocks that have come out over the years.  It's downright amazing.
I remember many years ago, someone had come out with something which I cannot recall the name of, but it was basically a little strip of material that was actually depleted uranium.  You affixed it to your frizzen and when one pulled the trigger and the flint struck it, it would light up the pan like fireworks on 4th of July.  IIRC, the NMLRA did declare that little device illegal.

Another little gimmick that I have seen was a powdery, yellow stuff, looked kind of like sulfur.  You would use it in place of priming powder.  When your pulled the trigger, you'd get a great flash and it sounded like a .22 went off.  I think the Gun Works was selling it.  I used to have a couple of bags of it, but I haven't seen them for years.

Of course, all these little gimmicks would never replace a good lock, well tuned with a good flint locked in the jaws.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else find this "Percussion Flintlock" not quite right???  :laffing
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 11:33:03 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else find this "Percussion Flintlock" not quite right???  :laffing

Yes sir! A very long way from right!

Offline BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
Oh, the "fixes" for recalcitrant flintlocks that have come out over the years.  It's downright amazing.
I remember many years ago, someone had come out with something which I cannot recall the name of, but it was basically a little strip of material that was actually depleted uranium.  You affixed it to your frizzen and when one pulled the trigger and the flint struck it, it would light up the pan like fireworks on 4th of July.  IIRC, the NMLRA did declare that little device illegal.

Another little gimmick that I have seen was a powdery, yellow stuff, looked kind of like sulfur.  You would use it in place of priming powder.  When your pulled the trigger, you'd get a great flash and it sounded like a .22 went off.  I think the Gun Works was selling it.  I used to have a couple of bags of it, but I haven't seen them for years.

Of course, all these little gimmicks would never replace a good lock, well tuned with a good flint locked in the jaws.

John, that yellow stuff was called foxfire, was given a bag of it from Nessy 357, an old TMA member from Vancouver BC, stuff was amazing, we had a high school chem teacher in our club who tried to recreate it, came close but never could figure out that last ingredient that made it flash Willie Peter, ie white phosphorus, that being said, why attach all that crap to a lock that doesn't work for squat, either replace it or convert it to a capper!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 05:52:09 AM »
A REAL BASTARDIZATION of a Flintlock! ;banghead; ;banghead; ;banghead;
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »
A REAL BASTARDIZATION of a Flintlock! ;banghead; ;banghead; ;banghead;

I agree Hawken...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 10:02:04 PM »
On the other hand, at least you can remove it and the block from the jaws and you have your flintlock back.  It beats changing the cock to a hammer and installing a drum with nipple in place of the vent!  That would be REAL permanent.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025