Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Forum Use Complaints  (Read 2897 times)

Spotted Bull

Forum Use Complaints
« on: July 09, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »
Hey folks! I need to know what difficulties or complaints everyone has about using the forum, from posting to reading or navigating or whatever. What do we need to fix? What just isnt working for you? Please don't be shy!

Thanks
Spotted Bull

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Forum Use Complaints
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
Well, there may not be very many that will post complaints, as they've already left.

I will mention what I've been told over time... Posting pictures are a PITA,,, and they are. Eventually some get it worked out, while others simply give up and move on somewhere else, and some just flat out don't like this current layout... We've had this conversation before and it doesn't end well.

Bottom line is that if those you want to like your Forum - don't like your Forum - you're not going to get them back. That's just the facts...

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but this is what I've heard more then once.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:06:28 PM »
I agree with Joe.
When someone has been on the Forum, as long as I have over the years, you develop friendly relationships. Some that last a lifetime.
Over the years folks begin to confide in you, share thoughts with you, and even quite often voice their complaints. And, some even become lifelong friends.
Sometimes I could act on and resolve their complaints but, when it came to the Forum itself, and not being user-friendly in their minds, I was at a loss, and I often tried to appease the member by using the same mumbo-jumbo I had been told.
In essence their complaints went unanswered and those Supporting Member soon found a "home" where they did  feel more comfortable.
This is by no means directed to any Admin, present or past, it's just the nature of the business, as practically everyone has set in their mind what they personally feel is a user-friendly Forum.
Again, agreeing with Joe, we have lost more paying members, by way of the Forum itself, than anything the Board of Directors has ever done.
I know the complaint, I know it well, but what to do about it is beyond me.
The Board of Directors, right now, has more talent and more experience than any time I can recall, short of our start-up back in 2004/2005. They are to be commended for this feat, and I'm sure they will all see this post and act accordingly.

Respectfully,  Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 07:23:57 PM »
Ok I read that posting pics is a PITA, Rob D's tutorial on it is pretty self explanatory and simple to follow even with screen captures on how to do it, unfortunately we have no magic photo hosting add on that makes it easier than it is, Uncle Russ, and all, feel free to send me a pm on whatever problems that your having navigating the forum or prior complaints that you think need fixing, I think our forum is as easy as navigating Claudes place or the ALR site!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 08:23:54 PM »
I agree about post pix being a pia as compared to years ago, simply because( imo) you have to resize everything.,then try n keep it seperated from full size stuff. But it is what it is. I also, kind of , understand  big pictures taking too much room or storage on the forum. The first thing I do after logging on is hit,"unread posts since last visit" tab. And they seem to disapear sooner than they used to and if I dint finish reading,replying or studying it then I have to try and find it,(not remembering what category it was under)
ALR, imo is the very easiest to navigate but no easier in pix posting.(perhaps worse) Easy navigation due to the simplicity of the layout.?
That all being said, ALR and the TMA forum are the only two black powder forums I go to, and  will continue being a part of. Are they always easy? No but they are both worth the effort. ( all of this observation more so than complaint)
Frontier Folks forum is dead and COHT forum is pretty dead as well,I think both due to fb.
I dont know who claude is but if its an old forum im thinking of,  I havent been there since 08 or before,no need or desire to from what I was seeing.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
Dan, it's the forum your thinking of!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 09:26:29 PM »
First off, thanks for the thread. If ya don't know sumthin is broke, ya probably will never try to fix it...and if no one will speak up, how will ya ever find out? So post the thread asking for positive criticism and complaints is a good start to making things better. It also shows our willingness to listen and make changes. :bl th up

That said, I have always had a real issue with trying to post pics...but that is due to my limitations, and I will readily 'fess up to that. But, other than that, I have had absolutely no problems in the year and a half or so I have been active. Everything is clear and easy to access. I have been consistently impressed with the wealth of knowledge on the forum and the ease in accessing it.

Added to that is the unbelievable friendliness of all the members with which I have interacted. Don't think I can remember another group that I am a part of that is so accepting, so helpful, and so consistently friendly... :toast
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
Forum Use Complaints
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 06:12:58 AM »
I have never liked the setup here. I'm on muzzleloadingforum.com and find it much more user friendly.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 08:36:19 AM »
I have never liked the setup here. I'm on muzzleloadingforum.com and find it much more user friendly.

Can you be specific about what parts of the setup you dislike please?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 08:40:41 AM »
Forum navigation has been a complaint over time; "a'lot of complaints"

It's preferred by many to have individual boards for certain topics, Such as;

Flintlock Muzzle Loading Firearms

Percussion Muzzle Loading Firearms

Muzzle Loading Handguns

Archery

Bladed Weapons (Knives / Hawks / Other)

When folks say they have to search for something, the above is 9 times out of 10 what they'er talking about as they have one Board with all muzzle loading firearms in it and they have to sift through it until they find what they were looking for - other then being able to narrow their search to (example; Flintlock Long Guns) or (Cap Lock Revolvers) or (Archery)...

This has been one area (aside from the picture posting) I've heard the biggest complaints about from folks over the years.

If they want to search for Flintlock Rifles, they would like to be able to go to a Board dedicated to just that... People like a quick reference to what they are looking for - we don't have that anymore... This (IMHO) has led to more member exits then anything...

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 01:27:54 PM »
I, on the other hand, really like this site for ease of use.  I have pretty well given up on GBO because it just s-l-o-w-s down my (old) computer.  Other sites I used to be on have had their issues also or I would visit them more often.

Posting photos here is no worse in my experience than at other sites.  The size limit is a bit of a pain but understandable.  And I like the emojis we have!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Forum Use Complaints
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »
With regards to the photo posting, is there such a thing that the webmaster could install that self adjusts the photo to the correct size as its be loaded  onto  the forum page?.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 04:25:46 PM »
Forum navigation has been a complaint over time; "a'lot of complaints"

It's preferred by many to have individual boards for certain topics, Such as;

Flintlock Muzzle Loading Firearms

Percussion Muzzle Loading Firearms

Muzzle Loading Handguns

Archery

Bladed Weapons (Knives / Hawks / Other)

When folks say they have to search for something, the above is 9 times out of 10 what they'er talking about as they have one Board with all muzzle loading firearms in it and they have to sift through it until they find what they were looking for - other then being able to narrow their search to (example; Flintlock Long Guns) or (Cap Lock Revolvers) or (Archery)...

This has been one area (aside from the picture posting) I've heard the biggest complaints about from folks over the years.

If they want to search for Flintlock Rifles, they would like to be able to go to a Board dedicated to just that... People like a quick reference to what they are looking for - we don't have that anymore... This (IMHO) has led to more member exits then anything...

I have to agree with Joe.
This is the very thing that I have received the most complaints on over the years.....layout, can't find the posts that interested them most and, they wanted more information on whatever that subject was, but can no longer find that particular thread.

Plus, we have to remember, "Those members who have already left and moved on, will not be answering here",
And that is most unfortunate!
They are the only ones that know "EXACTLY" why they left. And I am just repeating what many of them have told me over time.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Spotted Bull

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »
We are working on a solution to the navigation issues. It will probably take several days to iron out and move on, but it's in the works.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »
Those that have moved on and wont be commenting are not the reason we are making changes. Let's make changes so the ones that are here and the ones that will be coming here, are more likely to stay and comment and find what they are looking for and be happy enough to pay that $15 a year and get access to the members area and make thousands and thousands of posts and comments!