Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Soap  (Read 1228 times)

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
Soap
« on: July 21, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »
Best product for cleaning black powder fouling is plain, tepid tap water.

Many prefer complex formulae of just about everything.

I think all (most, at least) agree about the worst thing to put down your bore is Salt water.
Cap lock guns get some salt from priming compounds and at least one replacement for black powder is positively unspeakable for rusting your guns

Whoops . . . commercial soap (ie., P&G stuff) ALL contains salt. Yeah, salt, as in Sodium Chloride,  NaCl. It has been made that way for the last half century. At the time was part of reducing phosphorus in lakes & streams.  Huh? Yeah, that is a long story you don't care about.

Commercial stuff which is called soap gets some excess of lye (sodium hydroxide) in production. So that it doesn't act like Grandma's lye soap, this excess is neutralized by a little hydrochloric acid. This turns that sodium hydroxide into sodium chloride. Salt. The stuff on potato chips. The stuff most Northern states put on icy roads in winter. The same stuff that rusts out your car.

Clean with distilled Yak fat from Uzbekistan if you prefer it to plain water, but it really is best not to add soap.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Soap
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
Quote from: James Kelly
Best product for cleaning black powder fouling is plain, tepid tap water.

I couldn't agree more! :hairy :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »
+ :hairy
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 03:06:11 PM »
Interesting, but what about detergent, specifically dish washing detergent (and not the stuff for electric dishwashers)?  I'm not in the kitchen to check but I think we use Dawn, because I believe it's the stuff they used to clean ducks and water fowl when the Exon Valdez went aground.  I suppose it could have salt in it also since those birds were in the ocean....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:14:52 AM »
 :hairy Thanks! I've never used soap for cleaning my rock guns, but I sure didn't know about the salt. You guys keep be "lerning" more good stuff every day...Luv it! So again, many thanks!
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan