Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: No bang!  (Read 1459 times)

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
No bang!
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »
Been to the range a couple times lately practicing for shooting Mike Fink's cup (hopefully) and encountered a new problem (for me).
I pull the hammer back to full cock on my Traditions percussion mountain rifle and pull the set and then front trigger. The hammer moves forward as normal but it stops short of hitting the cap by 1/4 to 1/2 inch (past the half-cock position). Does this about 1 out of 8 or 10 shots.  I just re-cock and pull the triggers again and it works fine. Great for helping me remedy my flinching problem but I think I'd rather have it work right every time.

I've taken the lock out of the rifle a couple times and fiddled around trying to see what's happening, but it never fails.

Suggestions, anyone?
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Spotted Bull

Re: No bang!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »
Is the lock screw stick out between the lock and the hammer, maybe rubbing the hammer because it's in too far?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:27:38 PM »
Is the lock screw stick out between the lock and the hammer, maybe rubbing the hammer because it's in too far?

I agree,.... it sounds like maybe something might be binding up somewhere, especially since it sounds as if the lock seems to work fine "out of the rifle".  :bl th up

If the lock has 2 lock bolts,.... maybe they swapped places (at some point) when cleaning the rifle.

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:19:17 AM »
Or the srew is too toght flexing the lock plate and making it bind a bit? TC Patriots are notorious for that!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
Thanks, Good advice.
I checked the lock screw before and again just now. It seems fine. I encountered the long screw binding with the hammer when I first built the kit. Addressed it at the time by filing the screw a little shorter. And I always check it when reassembling.

I just got back from the range and it did fine for 15 or 16 shots.

Since it is intermittent I'm thinking its not a long or over tight screw. IMO those would make it bind consistently. So, I'm thinking something in the internal mechanism.  I'd like to take the lock out when it happens but so far it only happens when I've got a barrel stuffed with powder and ball. Maybe, I can stick some leather over the nipple and shoot it a bunch without powder and ball and see if it happens. If it does, maybe I can take it apart and see what's catching the hammer.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »
Dry firing is great practice anyway.  Instead of leather, get a faucet washer and put it over the nipple.  It stays on better.  It will help to wear the mechanicals in so they funtion smoothly.c

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025