Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A Predicament  (Read 2383 times)

Spotted Bull

A Predicament
« on: July 29, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
Well I have been sitting here looking at this kit I won in the raffle. And I came to a couple of conclusions.

1. A lot of wood needs to be removed from the stock. I have neither the tools, skills or appropriate work area to accomplish this. Probably could use a little removed from the forearm area as well.

2. There's also some metal work (barrel lugs, etc) that needs to be done. As above I have none of the required elements to accomplish this work.

;banghead;

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: A Predicament
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 10:56:06 AM »

pilot error  :Doh!

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 10:59:16 AM »

That sounds like a learning opportunity to me.....   :bigsmile:

If you're a senior citizen, and there's a senior center nearby, there may be a woodworking shop that will have machines & advice available (there's one such here that I use when I need to use a machine I don't possess)

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Spotted Bull

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 11:04:53 AM »
I'm not quite senior enough I don't think.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 12:14:22 PM »
Well I have been sitting here looking at this kit I won in the raffle. And I came to a couple of conclusions.

1. A lot of wood needs to be removed from the stock. I have neither the tools, skills or appropriate work area to accomplish this. Probably could use a little removed from the forearm area as well.

2. There's also some metal work (barrel lugs, etc) that needs to be done. As above I have none of the required elements to accomplish this work.

;banghead;

Some pictures of the rifle's stock, barrel, and hardware, would help us recommend what you need to put your rifle together.  :bl th up

Even if you are a novice,.... something like your rifle kit can be put together and finished with minimal tools and $$.

Everyone with experience of putting rifle kits together, or building rifles from "parts and pieces",.... learned how, by doing their very first one.  :bl th up  :)

If you have a linoleum/hardwood floor in your kitchen (and an understanding wife),.... a kitchen table makes a passable "work bench" for someone lacking an actual "shop".  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 01:00:33 PM »
GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!! not that hard Brother, ask many questions here, there is enough of us that have done kits, built from scratch and have made most ALL of the mistakes in the past to help you avoid them,a 4 foot Costco plastic lifetime table, a couple of Werner or Craftsman bar clamps, some files and sand paper, a few basic chisels and you should be on your way!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
I rarely find use for sandpaper, since I bought a set of card scrapers years ago,.... a good set of scrapers will save you $$ when compared to the cost of good sandpaper, and will last you 2-3 lifetimes.  :bl th up

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-376-Cabinet-Scraper-Gooseneck/dp/B001C06BLE/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=card+scrapers&qid=1596042716&sr=8-12

Here is a video showing the proper way to sharpen a scraper, and the tools that make it easy.  :bl th up

For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 01:41:53 PM »
Yes Sir, but, for smoothing the long run of a fore stock and getting it straight and flat, good paper on a 6 inch sanding block is easy for beginners, I use a plane, spoke shave and starret straight edge to do this, then finish with scrapers and a bone to burnish
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Yes Sir, but, for smoothing the long run of a fore stock and getting it straight and flat, good paper on a 6 inch sanding block is easy for beginners, I use a plane, spoke shave and starret straight edge to do this, then finish with scrapers and a bone to burnish

Quite true,.... sandpaper does "have its place", just like other "tools"!!  :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »
Bull, now you know why it ended up as a drawing prize!   :bigsmile:  I had come to the same conclusions as you, figured someone else could do better than me on this kit.  I have put together several CVA and Deer Creek kits but this one was more than I was ready to take on!

Think of it this way, though.  You now have a prize to donate for next year's drawing!  :laffing :laffing :laffing

Of course you could take up the challenge and remove tons of wood and do the rest of what is needed, using Beaverman's suggestions and input....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Spotted Bull

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 03:19:42 PM »
Yeah Kees I think the prize for next time is the way I'm going to go. I just don't have it in me to do it. I'm about to start whittling down all the stuff I have now. Including rifles.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 05:18:22 AM »
What brand kit? Maybe someone else would put it together for you, or you could trade or sell it.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 06:41:26 AM »
It's a CVA Kentucky, .45 caliber.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
I rarely find use for sandpaper, since I bought a set of card scrapers years ago,.... a good set of scrapers will save you $$ when compared to the cost of good sandpaper, and will last you 2-3 lifetimes.  :bl th up

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-376-Cabinet-Scraper-Gooseneck/dp/B001C06BLE/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=card+scrapers&qid=1596042716&sr=8-12

Here is a video showing the proper way to sharpen a scraper, and the tools that make it easy.  :bl th up

Great video, I love scrapers. On wood and on horn. The only time I get out paper is if I get bad chatter with scraper. Luckily that happens less with each project :*:
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »
I had an old carpenter (Ralph La'Plant) he gave me lessons in shaving wood with single and double strength glass (You'll want to wear good leather gloves) and that's what I use, but you still have to work down the curves with file and sand paper... If it works for you - stick with it.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska