Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Thinned Superglue???  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Thinned Superglue???
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 04:12:16 PM »
Have you tried wrapping some  (4) 0000 Steel wool around a dowel and running it up and down in the bore to see if it smooths it out?

Not yet.  I may put the barrel in the bluing trough filled with soapy water for a few days to try to soak crud loose before scrubbing (and steel wooling) the bore again.  I read elsewhere that this can get old fouling and crud out.  But then again, it's a wall hanger....   ;D

Thanks for the tip though.  I will definitely try that at some time.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Thinned Superglue???
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Joe's got the right idea with the steel wool bbl "lapping".  I do that to all new bbls, too, no matter whether muzzy or breech guns.  I unravel a bit of 0000 steel wool and cut it into about a 2" square.  That goes on top of an oiled patch, and both go over a brass jag.  The rod used MUST be stiff 'n' strong metal, brass or steel.  It might take some fiddling, but the idea is to get the combination of wool and oiled cloth to have a *tight* fit into the tube, where getting it in might take a mallet whack or two, and after that it'll constrict to the lands 'n' grooves and allow pushing and pulling by hand.