Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fowler  (Read 4178 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Fowler
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »
It's not all that great a gun in terms of build, and to a fair degree even in looks.  The builder is a rookie at this ML game, though he's a pro wood and metal carver, for sure!  It's all a learning process, who hasn't crawled before learning to walk?  So much to know about ML guns, I'm always learning good stuff!

Yes, he installed the trigger guard too far back, a big blunder considering nothing is interconnected to the trigger guard to be concerned about, so it's just a matter of sticking it wherever - hopefully with the trigger dead centered in the guard's bow! - which is why the trigger and trigger plate get stuck on first.  I could correct it by moving the guard forward but that would require sanding off all the neat looking relief carving that's under and around the guard.  Not worth doing, plenty of trigger finger room as is and I don't shoot with mittens  ;D

Right now, it's my only muzzleloader.  I sold off the Kibler .54 Colonial I'd built and will stick with smoothbores only.  When I build a fowler next year, probably the forthcoming new Kibler kit, this one will more than likely go up for sale ... for cheap.  ;)  Until then, it'll be used for local shoots and the coming TMA Postal Match.

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
It's not all that great a gun in terms of build, and to a fair degree even in looks.  The builder is a rookie at this ML game, though he's a pro wood and metal carver, for sure!  It's all a learning process, who hasn't crawled before learning to walk?  So much to know about ML guns, I'm always learning good stuff!

Yes, he installed the trigger guard too far back, a big blunder considering nothing is interconnected to the trigger guard to be concerned about, so it's just a matter of sticking where it wherever - with the trigger dead centered in the guard's bow!  I could correct it by moving the guard forward but that would require sanding off all the neat looking relief carving that's under and around the guard.  Not worth doing, plenty of trigger finger room as is and I don't shoot with mittens  ;D

Right now, it's my only muzzleloader.  I sold off the Kibler .54 Colonial I'd built and will stick with smoothbores only.  When I build a fowler next year, probably the forthcoming new Kibler kit, this one will more than likely go up for sale ... for cheap.  ;)  Until then, it'll be used for local shoots and the coming TMA Postal Match.

Couple of things, Rob:

1) you always seem to sell for less and

2) I wish I knew what you've simply forgotten, but then that isn't possible and would do neither of us any good...

hope you can get this one to where you want it before you're led to sell it

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2020, 07:23:14 AM »
Serpent side plate added, along with a new longer lock bolt.  All that's left is to relocate one of the barrel lug pins and that'll get done when I get David Rase's cool pin jig tool.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
Rob, your going to like that jig, I have had one for over a decade and it works like a dream!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »
This will be my third Rase pin jig ... the first got legs, the second is till hiding somewhere in my shop .....  :Doh!  :o  ::)  ;D

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2020, 12:29:09 PM »
OOPS!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2020, 06:29:40 PM »
And of course this time Dave has none for sale and will make inventory early next year.

No big deal, the way the weather and my schedule is going I won't be able to shoot the dang thing 'til come Spring.  ;banghead;

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2020, 10:58:43 PM »
And of course this time Dave has none for sale and will make inventory early next year.

No big deal, the way the weather and my schedule is going I won't be able to shoot the dang thing 'til come Spring.  ;banghead;

Guess it's time for a treasure hunt in the shop! :luff:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »

I'm of the opinion that once the NEW one finally arrives, Rob will "stumble" onto the one lost in the shop... :( :lol sign

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2020, 10:58:23 PM »

I'm of the opinion that once the NEW one finally arrives, Rob will "stumble" onto the one lost in the shop... :( :lol sign

That's what usually happens to me!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA