Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Pony express was faster than USPS  (Read 1997 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Pony express was faster than USPS
« on: August 01, 2020, 03:52:59 PM »
Here's something a bit interesting to think about over the weekend,..........

It is 1,379 miles from Phillipsburg, KS -to- Kunkletown, PA,.... and it took the USPS 11+ days to deliver a money order in 2020.

It is 1,663 miles from St. Joseph, MO -to- Sacramento, CA,.... and the Pony Express covered that distance in 7 days and 17 hours on horse-back when delivering President Abraham Lincoln's inaugural address to the west coast in 1861.

Kind of interesting, huh?
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Pony express was faster than USPS
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
Probably less traffic... :luff:
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:00:57 PM »
Thats about par for the course for the USPS, I sent a shooting bag that I made for Bigsmoke some years back to him Priority mail with tracking from just outside Seattle to Morro Bay Ca, ( about 1700 miles) PRIORITY MAIL 3 day delivery  with tracking, we watched the box go from here, to City of Industry south of LA, ( Morro Bay is at least 3 hours north of there) to Phoenix,AZ, to some po dunk town in Texas, to Louisiana? John may remember, then back to Pheonix, to LA then finally 2 Smoke, 15 day journey!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:16:14 PM »
Kinda makes you glad they don't charge you by the actual mile traveled, huh?
Yep, I remember that fiasco.
But it ain't nuttin' like what the airlines can do with a suitcase.  My suitcases have more miles on them than I do.
But really, when you get right down to it, when you consider the number of pieces of mail and the number of packages that they process, you gotta admit, they do a pretty awesome job.  Same with UPS and FedEx.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:11:12 PM »
Kinda makes you glad they don't charge you by the actual mile traveled, huh?
Yep, I remember that fiasco.
But it ain't nuttin' like what the airlines can do with a suitcase.  My suitcases have more miles on them than I do.
But really, when you get right down to it, when you consider the number of pieces of mail and the number of packages that they process, you gotta admit, they do a pretty awesome job.  Same with UPS and FedEx.
John (Bigsmoke)

Yea your correct as far as the USPS in all the years I've been dealing with shipping ML stuff PLUS literally the thousands of packages I've sent and received buying and selling Boy Scout memorabilia on ebay (since it's inception) the USPS have lost only a few items or delivered to wrong place,NOW UPS on the other hand has screwed up more deliveries to me and are slower than hell! just 2 weeks ago I ordered 2 16oz cans of Ballistol on ebay from a seller in Israel, 17.50 shipped each, best price on ebay or Amazon, made it to the states  in 3 days via whoever they use for international shipping, was transferred to UPS in NJ 9 days later the tracking said it was delivered to my front door, WE WERE HOME ALL DAY WITH THE FRONT DOOR AND WINDOW WIDE OPEN been a bit warm here,  from where we both sit we can see the porch and the driveway and street, I watched the UPS truck drive down the street passed us, thought maybe it was on another truck, checked the tracking at 3:30 and it said it was delivered at 2:20, still haven't seen the package, filed a claim with ebay and was refunded, hope whoever got my Ballistol actually knows what it's used for! I HAVE NO USE FOR UPS AT ALL!, fed ex has been great with any deliveries I've had shipped from sellers and their delivery time is half of Browns!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 11:20:04 PM »
I had a problem with FedEx a while back.  The guys down at Guns and Ammo magazine, I think it was, wanted to do a story about my itty, bitty 8 bore double rifle, so I sent it down via UPS.  They received my little popgun, did some photo work with it, took it out and test fired it, packed it up and sent it back via FedEx.
They used my original packing.  It was a Doscosil plastic gun case with layers of cardboard fore and aft to keep the rifle from sliding back and forth.  So, you have 3 or 4 layer of cardboard in front of the muzzle, and about the same in back.  Not much room for movement inside the case.  Then you have the thickness of the plastic case walls.  Then you have maybe four layers of cardboard where the endflaps of the box cross over.
So, a few days after it was sent off to me, I receive the delivery.  I just happen to look at the end of the box and I see the muzzle of the rifle sticking through the box.  What the ??????  I call the driver's attention  to it and he was sort of blasee about it.  Turn it in, he said and walked away.
So, I opened the box and the case and looked at the rifle.  Sure enough, the muzzle was bent in on the left barrel.  I have no idea how high that gun had to be when it dropped, but to get through all that, and then bend in the edge of the muzzle, it had to have had quite a shock.
Fortunately, when the rifle was shipped they insured it.  And it cost FedEx dearly. Had to disassemble the barrel set and cut about an inch off the tubes, then put the gun back together, then test fire it to re-regulate them, then solder the ribs back on then reblue the barrels.  What a PITA.  Plus I was planning on using that rifle on my buffalo hunt that year.  Didn't happen, used my 12 bore rifle instead.  It was all good.  But I did want to see what that rifle would do to an 1,800 pound critter.  Guess I'll never know.  The rifle has gone down the trail since then.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 06:39:09 AM »
As slow as USPS has been, it is now getting even slower due to the intentional efforts of the new Postmaster General.  ;banghead;
He needs to be taken out behind the barn and given a good "military style" talking to...just my humble opinion, of course.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
Pony express was faster than USPS
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
Generally I was pleased with USPS up until about a month ago.  Here is why it has changed.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-postmaster-general-tells-postal-workers-to-leave-mail-behind-if-it-slows-down-their-route/ar-BB16Jyzg

dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 11:35:23 AM »
Generally I was pleased with USPS up until about a month ago.  Here is why it has changed.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-postmaster-general-tells-postal-workers-to-leave-mail-behind-if-it-slows-down-their-route/ar-BB16Jyzg

dave

Yup...glad someone bothered to post that...times they are a changing... :( ;banghead;

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »
Ben Franklin is rolling in his grave!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »
Ben Franklin is rolling in his grave!

~Kees~

Nobody to blame by us'ins... almost biblical way things are going... :Doh! :pray:

Online Craig Tx

• TMA: TMA Member #332
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 03:39:35 AM »
I once had a package go from France to NY, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, back to France, to NY, IL, and finally to me in Washington.  Well traveled it was...
Dios y Tejas!

TMA # 332
Renew: 5 Sept 2024

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 11:48:26 AM »
I once had a package go from France to NY, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, back to France, to NY, IL, and finally to me in Washington.  Well traveled it was...

Did that package need a passport? :lol sign
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Spotted Bull

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »

Once had a package go through Paris, Corinth, Athens to Palestine.

But never left Texas!