Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Info on Remington Model 1861 Army  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Company Man

• TMA Forum Member
Info on Remington Model 1861 Army
« on: August 05, 2020, 03:34:23 PM »
I have what appears to be a Remington Model 1861 Army .44 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] . Based on serial number under left grip it was one of the 1st 150 made of this model.
Looks like It has been refinished during its 159 years of existence. No clear marking on the barrel and can only make out 1/2 of serial number on barrel. There is a cartouche on grip indicating military acceptance but it is faint.
looking for any more information that someone may have on this pistol
I am not a Remington collector and so most likely I will be trading this off and want to make sure it is what I think it is so that I can get a value.
thanks in advance.

Spotted Bull

Re: Info on Remington Model 1861 Army
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 04:04:52 PM »
First off, welcome to the TMA. Secondly, that's a beautiful pistol. Afraid I'm not an expert or anything close. Someone should be along shortly to help with this.

Offline Company Man

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »
Thanks David,
I hated to join another online forum since I am a member of so many already.
Since this one was a head scratcher on my normal sources for knowledge, it was recommended that I join here and ask the experts.

John

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »
You might check this URL

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-civil-war-era-remington-new-model-1863-army-revolver-matching-serial-numbers-77296?variant=26168311301

You might or might not be surprised at the selling price of the pistol.  It is out of stock, so evidently someone thought it worthwhile.

Frankly, I am not much of a revolver enthusiast, so I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Model 1863 Remington.  I thought 1858 was it.  Goes to prove I don't really know all that much.

Don't forget to report back on what you do with the pistol.  Might be an interesting story?

Be well.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:48:56 PM »
Although I have several Remington replicas, I don't know much about the originals.
Here is an interesting link,.......

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/handguns/remington-revolvers/
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 11:06:33 PM »
Here another link that may be of some help. Does your front sight look like the front sight in the picture of the following link?  :shake

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/rem1861/usarevpage_m1861.htm
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Company Man

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 05:45:17 AM »
Tha ms for the links, will give me some interesting reading today.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »

most likely I will be trading this off and want to make sure it is what I think it is so that I can get a value.

Welcome to the board ! !  :toast

AFAIK, the links above refer to the .31cal Model 1863 Pocket, which was made on a frame too small to accept a .44 caliber.

Here's the history on the Model 1861 Army:  https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=152

( FWIW, the "Army" caliber = .44" & the "Navy" caliber = .36" )

Given your gun appears to have been (too) heavily buffed & polished/re-blued, IMHO it falls into the category of what's kindly referred to as a "shooter".

"Shooter" value would be equal to or somewhat less than a new Model 1858 repro  -  AFAIK, nobody makes a Model 1861 Army repro (google new repro costs).

It could, of course, be restored - but done properly, the restoration cost alone would likely be much more than what the restored value would be.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »
I have what appears to be a Remington Model 1861 Army .44 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] . Based on serial number under left grip it was one of the 1st 150 made of this model.
Looks like It has been refinished during its 159 years of existence. No clear marking on the barrel and can only make out 1/2 of serial number on barrel. There is a cartouche on grip indicating military acceptance but it is faint.
looking for any more information that someone may have on this pistol
I am not a Remington collector and so most likely I will be trading this off and want to make sure it is what I think it is so that I can get a value.
thanks in advance.

I'd like to be the first to get my name on the list of potential buyers, should you decide to sell your 1861 Remington.  :hairy  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6