Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Osborne Russel's "Journal of a Trapper"  (Read 692 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Osborne Russel's "Journal of a Trapper"
« on: August 11, 2020, 04:06:29 PM »
I am reading this for the first time after I got a copy a couple of days ago.  I wish I had read it 40 years ago, but I wasn't interested in the historical aspect of muzzleloading then.  However, I was working for the US Forest Service at the time and got a transfer to the Pinedale Ranger District of the Bridger-Teton N.F. in Wyoming in the summer of 1982.  Mr. Russel's descriptions of the places he goes are familiar although I would need a map now to remember where they all are.  It would have been really neat to have known this history when I was there!  As I wrote, I wasn't interested at the time; shucks, I didn't even get to the museum there, like a dummy!  ;banghead;

Maybe someday I will get there again.  In the meantime it's nice to follow the travels in the book and remember that I have been to some of the same places.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Spotted Bull

Re: Osborne Russel's "Journal of a Trapper"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:43:19 PM »
I once read part of John Audobon's book that he wrote while in St. Francisville, LA area. It is the area that my Dad's folks had a nice plot of land and a big pond. One description of a place in the book reminded me of that pond and the woods around it. It would have been pretty cool to tie the book to the old home place.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Osborne Russel's "Journal of a Trapper"
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:48:44 PM »
I am reading this for the first time after I got a copy a couple of days ago.  I wish I had read it 40 years ago, but I wasn't interested in the historical aspect of muzzleloading then.  However, I was working for the US Forest Service at the time and got a transfer to the Pinedale Ranger District of the Bridger-Teton N.F. in Wyoming in the summer of 1982.  Mr. Russel's descriptions of the places he goes are familiar although I would need a map now to remember where they all are.  It would have been really neat to have known this history when I was there!  As I wrote, I wasn't interested at the time; shucks, I didn't even get to the museum there, like a dummy!  ;banghead;

Maybe someday I will get there again.  In the meantime it's nice to follow the travels in the book and remember that I have been to some of the same places.

~Kees~

Some of my most memorial elk hunts were above Cora, WY,.... love the area!  :hairy

BTW,.... Cora, WY was named for Jim Bridger's 1st. wife,.... Cora Insala Bridger, the daughter of a Flathead Indian Chief, and was the mother of Mary Bridger.

Cora died at Ft. Bridger at the age of 25.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6