Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: I broke my fly.  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
I broke my fly.
« on: August 20, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
       Yesterday, I took my .50 cal T/C Hawken Flintlock to the range to see if I could qualify for the TMA Annual Challenge Match. I did the 25 yard Challenge but on my second shot on the 50 yard, I had problems. It would hang up at half cock when I tried to fire. I pulled the lock, cleaned it up, tightened screws, checked trigger clearances, reassembled it and it fired. Tried dry firing again, hung up. Tried disassembling again but no luck. I wasn't about to disassemble the whole lock at the range, I have an unfortunate knack for losing small pieces.
       Back home on the bench, with the help of the TMA search function. I found my Fly which should be rounded now looks like a tiny bear's tooth. A search of the Internet revealed Zero chance of buying a replacement. A used Fly on Ebay/Amazon would be dicey at best, not that I saw one. So my choices are, buy a used T/C lock of unknown quality from someone of unknown character or buy an aftermarket replacement.
     so after this long story, my question to you, my TMA friends. What do you think I should do? Used, New, if new which one? 
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: I broke my fly.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 06:15:29 PM »
Good luck finding a fly!,If your going to go with a replacement lock, this is the only one I've seen available

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/724/1/LOCK-LR-03-F

they have a used TC lock for 159. so for 25 bux more you get a brand new lock
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 06:34:45 PM »
Are the L+Rs worth the money, Jim?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
Are the L+Rs worth the money, Jim?

I have 3 L&R locks and never have had a problem with them, 2 caps and I rock lock
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »
That's good enough for me!!! :hairy

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
I have 3 L&R Locks as well (2 Flint / 1 Cap) and I have no complaints... Nessmuk, did you try Brownells and Numrich? Don't know if they'd have any or not, but also may want to check Dixie Gun Works???

Just out of curiosity, was your TC Lock the newer one with the coil spring or the old style Main Spring Lock??? I always worry when companies start going cheap parts - even TC wouldn't be above this before they closed their doors.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »
👍👍 for L&R.  I suggest buying direct from L&R same price and great service.
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »
Try https://thea.com/Black-Powder-Thompson-Center-Hawken-Lock/. They show a fly used once for about $12.00. Worth a try???

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 01:18:47 AM »
Just out of curiosity, was your TC Lock the newer one with the coil spring or the old style Main Spring Lock??? I always worry when companies start going cheap parts - even TC wouldn't be above this before they closed their doors.

I gotta ask, Joe, when did T/C ever use a regular main spring on any of their locks?  I have been dinking with Thompson Centers since about 1970 or so, and the best I can recall, all I have ever seen on them has been the coil spring locks.  I used to have a little small parts box that I would take to rendezvous with my regular trade table back in the day, and I carried a complete set of parts for T/C rifles.  I supplied that box from Log Cabin Sporting Goods in Lodi, OH.  No idea if they still have those parts or not, but that would be worth a try.  Also, T/C used to have repair shops scattered around the country,  You might want to do a search and see if you can find any of those.  Or, the suggestions listed above are worth a try as well.

John  (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 04:11:08 AM »
My T/C Hawken has coil spring around a metal rod. It seems pretty stoutly made. No luck on new or used fly, everything  else, yes, but no fly.
I had several other items to get from TOTW, so I ordered from them.
Thanks to all for your help.

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 08:25:00 AM »

I gotta ask, Joe, when did T/C ever use a regular main spring on any of their locks?  I have been dinking with Thompson Centers since about 1970 or so, and the best I can recall, all I have ever seen on them has been the coil spring locks.  I used to have a little small parts box that I would take to rendezvous with my regular trade table back in the day, and I carried a complete set of parts for T/C rifles.  I supplied that box from Log Cabin Sporting Goods in Lodi, OH.  No idea if they still have those parts or not, but that would be worth a try.  Also, T/C used to have repair shops scattered around the country,  You might want to do a search and see if you can find any of those.  Or, the suggestions listed above are worth a try as well.

John  (Bigsmoke)

John, you're right. I must have been thinking of some other company who switched from the standard main spring to the coil spring, but I can't remember who?  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska