Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Goex Re-enactor Powder  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Goex Re-enactor Powder
« on: August 08, 2020, 05:41:05 PM »
Normally I wouldn't ask this question on the forum.  I'd buy a pound, set up my chrono and find out for myself.  But it occurred to me that someone may have answered it so why spend the money?  I use Goex powder and was looking at Graf & Son for an order when I noticed that the Re-enactor version is a full $2.00 cheaper per pound than the regular stuff.  So how much difference is there in performance?  Is there an appreciable difference in velocity, consistency, or is it mostly just dirtier?  Opinions appreciated.
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Goex Re-enactor Powder
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:23:57 PM »
Normally I wouldn't ask this question on the forum.  I'd buy a pound, set up my chrono and find out for myself.  But it occurred to me that someone may have answered it so why spend the money?  I use Goex powder and was looking at Graf & Son for an order when I noticed that the Re-enactor version is a full $2.00 cheaper per pound than the regular stuff.  So how much difference is there in performance?  Is there an appreciable difference in velocity, consistency, or is it mostly just dirtier?  Opinions appreciated.
John

I've never heard of it, of course I don't buy anything other than GOEX, have tried Schuetzen once (picked of a prize blanket) did not notice any difference from Goex, let us know what you find out if you get some please.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
John,

I can't answer your question, but I'm of the opinion (and I'm a dedicated Goex user 99% of the time myself),,, and I can't justify not paying the $2.00 per pound difference on; 5, 10, or 25 pounds as I'd spend that extra money (or more) in using up the Reenactment powder, patch, ball, caps & flints - to re'zero my muzzle loading firearms... So as they say; I just suck it up and pay the extra $2.00 per pound.

Just my thoughts.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »
This is what Goex says about their Reenactor Powder:

"Goex Reenactor is dedicated to and manufactured for the historical reenactor and the value-conscious black powder recreational shooter. Loading by volume charge as regular-grade black powder, this product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon.

However, it is also suitable for loading in recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at low pressures. With 100% black powder ignition, it is very reliable with every shot. Reenactor Gunpowder is value priced for every budget minded shooter pursuing living history.

Available in a 1 lb. canister."

And from The High Road site by Loyalist Dave on May 31, 2012:

"The formula is the same as standard Goex powders. When a powder run is completed, the process has leftover powder..., it is not floor sweepings. The company then combines the remainder powder, which is not screened and from different lots. It is a mixture of the remaining powders from 1Fg to 3Fg and as the granulations and lots vary, so will the velocities when used from a BP rifle or smooth bore.

One could, for example pour a 100 grain load that is 40 grains of 1Fg, 50 grains of 2Fg, and 10 grains of 3Fg..., and then pour a second 100 grain load and get 10 grains of 1Fg, 20 grains of 2Fg, and 70 grains of 3Fg..., and so the velocity would be different, especially with differing lots, thus making precise shooting of projectiles very difficult.

It is sold at a reduced price for living history events, as velocity doesn't matter with blanks very much.

It isn't "weaker".
It works in flintlocks.
For folks who are paying $23.00 a can for regular Goex when doing living history events and reenactments, the price of $11.00 or a bit more per can is nice.
"

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »
This is what Goex says about their Reenactor Powder:

"Goex Reenactor is dedicated to and manufactured for the historical reenactor and the value-conscious black powder recreational shooter. Loading by volume charge as regular-grade black powder, this product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon.

However, it is also suitable for loading in recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at low pressures. With 100% black powder ignition, it is very reliable with every shot. Reenactor Gunpowder is value priced for every budget minded shooter pursuing living history.

Available in a 1 lb. canister."

And from The High Road site by Loyalist Dave on May 31, 2012:

"The formula is the same as standard Goex powders. When a powder run is completed, the process has leftover powder..., it is not floor sweepings. The company then combines the remainder powder, which is not screened and from different lots. It is a mixture of the remaining powders from 1Fg to 3Fg and as the granulations and lots vary, so will the velocities when used from a BP rifle or smooth bore.

One could, for example pour a 100 grain load that is 40 grains of 1Fg, 50 grains of 2Fg, and 10 grains of 3Fg..., and then pour a second 100 grain load and get 10 grains of 1Fg, 20 grains of 2Fg, and 70 grains of 3Fg..., and so the velocity would be different, especially with differing lots, thus making precise shooting of projectiles very difficult.

It is sold at a reduced price for living history events, as velocity doesn't matter with blanks very much.

It isn't "weaker".
It works in flintlocks.
For folks who are paying $23.00 a can for regular Goex when doing living history events and reenactments, the price of $11.00 or a bit more per can is nice.
"

~Kees~

Good info Kees!  :bl th up

In short, the Reenactment powder will do nothing for anyone that is striving for accuracy... However, they would be experts at the following;  :Doh!  :o   :P   :pray:   ;banghead;

However with the above said,,, if one knew exactly what to expect from someone who has used it and their results were within some acceptable measures - perhaps it would make for a good "Gong" shooting powder where you have quite a bit bigger field of opportunity for making the shot no matter where it hits on a gong.   :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska