Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Well, we had a little taste of winter  (Read 865 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Well, we had a little taste of winter
« on: September 09, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »
We ended up getting some cold and snow the night before last, and fortunately it's all going away and it's suppose to start warming back up, and I gotta say - "I'm not looking forward to winter at all..."

There was a time I didn't mind it so much, but as I get older my tolerance of winter becomes less and less... Not saying I prefer 100 degree days over the hottest part of Summer, but one can always find shade somewhere outside (well most can, and some can't), but boy,,, mid to upper 20's here in September??? Now that's just down right "not Right..."

Anyway, we survived, and we'll survive winter when it shows up (least I hope we do), but anymore I'm just not as tolerant of the cold as I once was...  :shake

We did need the moisture - no doubt about that...   
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Well, we had a little taste of winter
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »
I was wondering if that snow Colorado and the others had was going to brush by you guys!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 08:46:27 AM »
I agree with you about not looking forward to Winter this year, although some cooler weather would sure be nice for bow season. For those of us getting a little long in the tooth, Winter this year brings more threat than in previous years due to Covid and other Flu-like challenges.

But, I imagine that we will get through it. We all just need to use common sense and not do anything stupid. But, I have to admit that alone is becoming more difficult for me...lol
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 09:13:36 AM »
We all just need to use common sense and not do anything stupid. But, I have to admit that alone is becoming more difficult for me...lol

Ray, I couldn't help but get a chuckle out'a your comment. :lol sign

Lot's of truth in those words for many of us!!!  :toast :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 01:00:33 PM »
The thought of winter is one of the things that has kept me in sunny LaLaLand.  Cold temperatures mixed with the arthritis in my back just yields something mighty painful.  No fun.  As I think back to how it felt maybe 15 years ago, I am just not willing to undergo that again.  I know, I am getting kinda wussy in my advancing age, but that's how it is.  And I know I wouldn't be able to put up with snowmobiling any more, so why bother.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 03:55:44 PM »
On the other hand as I have told my kids often enough (according to them), when it gets hot I can only take off so many clothes, while I can always add another layer when it's cold....  :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 05:02:45 PM »
 :hairy

Lot of truth in that... :lol sign

I remember the time when my family and another family moved from the city onto a farm in the mountains of Virginia. We were living in Christian community trying to demonstrate a simple and responsible lifestyle that would be fair for all the hungry of the world...

The first Winter we had not realized you needed to have your wood cut and seasoned...before the cold hit. :Doh! My partner and I cut wood in the snow all Winter...better believe by the second Winter we had our wood cut, stacked and seasoned...it's funny how quick you can learn when you are freezing your nether parts off... :bigsmile:
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
:hairy

Lot of truth in that... :lol sign

I remember the time when my family and another family moved from the city onto a farm in the mountains of Virginia. We were living in Christian community trying to demonstrate a simple and responsible lifestyle that would be fair for all the hungry of the world...

The first Winter we had not realized you needed to have your wood cut and seasoned...before the cold hit. :Doh! My partner and I cut wood in the snow all Winter...better believe by the second Winter we had our wood cut, stacked and seasoned...it's funny how quick you can learn when you are freezing your nether parts off... :bigsmile:

I've heard it said that good decisions come from experience and experience comes from bad decisions. We live and learn. If we don't screw up too badly, (read Darwin theory at work) we have some experience going forward.

doggoner

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.