Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: how slippery is too slippery  (Read 2166 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: how slippery is too slippery
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
Making Gato Feo ....

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 11:16:19 AM »
I like it.   
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 02:22:57 PM »
 :hairy

Buckskins ain't the worse thing! They're a bit spendy nowadays, but other than that theyre great to wear in the woods and at voos.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online KDubs

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »
well if I was going to wear bucks I'd probably learn to process the skins myself and then my wife and I would try to make them.
 I've made plains style quivers, haversacks and various accoutrements. fairly handy when I want to be.
 I picture myself as more of a Capote and leggins kinda guy.
 My fathers (RIP 1995) was a fan of Rogers Rangers and that whole time period.  so eventually I'll be looking into a front stuffer and clothing etc related to them.
 kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
rogers rangers was during the beginnings of the conflict period - the seven years war, or french & indian war.  the weapon of choice for most military was the musket/smoothbore, due to its faster rate of fire as being less finicky than rifled guns for reloads without fouling control.  captain/major robert rogers was in himself a bit of an interesting character and an enigma of sorts.

Online KDubs

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:25 AM »
When I was in the usaf , I was station in Plattsburgh NY
On lake Champlain.
 Toured fort ticonderoga, fort William henry. Lake George. Really enjoyed all of the history and reenactments.
  surprises me it this long for me to get into muzzleloaders.
 By the way I am really glad I joined TMA. 
Great bunch here. 
 RobD ,Part of the reason for joining was the fact you and I belong to the same trad bowhunting site ( I go by kevsuperg over there)  anyways you're a Mod over there and I always like the way you conduct yourself so here I am.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »
lots of birth-of-a-nation history abounds in the nor'east, as expected since this was the port of entry into the new world, it's where our nation began, it's our roots, it's our affirmation of personal freedoms and liberties as defined in our constitution and bill of rights.  and then there's the nor'east of today.  ack.

thanx for coming over here, kevin, your posts are most appreciated, sir.

r.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 09:26:46 PM »
But there was a time, way back when, when you are "advised" by some of the Old Timers "to load 'em until the CRACK!...much more like a modern rifle. Now I have done that with a .45 cal Flintlock and a round ball, And, Yep, the rifle cracked like a 30-30.....and that round ball is probably still going!

What I understand is that the "crack" is caused by the ball breaking the sound barrier, like the sonic boom that fighter jets make.  The problem here is that it causes the ball's flight to become erratic and accuracy goes down.  Unless of course, you dimple the ball like a golf ball, but that's been covered in previous posts....  :laffing

Oh, and I further understand that no less a person than George Washington wore "Indian dress", i.e. breech clout, moccasins  and leggings when in battle, at least before he became top dog of the Continental Army.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online KDubs

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2020, 07:37:38 PM »
 well the weather finally improved and I was able get out for a little shooting. play with the chrono.
 the .54 came with F/O sights, the original sights in a bag, but since I wanted to shoot a few different patch/powder combos the fiber optics stayed on for today but I have changed them out since.
 all the shots hit off to the right at 25yds, but in a 3" ish circle) regardless of any combo I tried. 
 all shots with .530 ball and pyrodex R/S ( trying to shoot up my supply then on to BP) various charges from 70-100.
 patches from commercial prelubed .010, were all destroyed.   
 .015 t/c prelubed ( bore butter i assume) .018 mattress ticking beard balm could have been shot again ,  .018 MT with coconut lube. destroyed 
 seems the beard balm and the t/c prelubed patch held up best. 
 The beard balm with 90gr chrono'd 1620 fps ( top 3 ) and the same charge with .010 patch only reached 1470.   
 100gr with a .010 patch came in at 1653 fps .  slowest FPS was 70gr with .010 patch. 1350.
 I know not scientific at all and probably amounts to not much but it was nice to get out an shoot.
 my next session will be to 1st sight in the original sights , which by the way I noticed the FO front sight was off left center to the barrel and the original metal sight lines nicely to the edges of the flats so that's why I was off to the right I figure.
 It would seem to me that as far as grouping goes the 90gr beard balm was the best so far with a .018 patch. tight, need a starter and 2 hands to seat. 
 The .010 patches load with a push of the thumb and 1 hand ramming, but the obvious gas blow by results in slower MV. How much does that matter in hunting terms.
 so still learning.  thoughts, criticisms, tips welcomed. 
kevin

TMA Idaho rep.

Online KDubs

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2020, 08:02:10 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2020, 08:05:11 PM »
report back when you've done testing with the iron sights and the holy black (hopefully 3f?).  for 25 yards benched, i'd start off with 50 grains and a .015" (or so) patch.  patch lube will matter, too, so try all ya got.  personally, i don't get wrapped up too much with how fired patches look, it's consistent accurate results that matter most for me.  see what worx best, yer gettin' there!   :bl th up

Online KDubs

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »
 Rob, ya say 3f huh,  my pyro is 2f equiv. 
what's the advantage.
 Buffalo arms is about 30mins from here, that's my dealer for the black stuff.  no shipping needed. probably pick up some soon.
 should I try 2f and 3f or should I …  I don't know,  I'm following your lead.  :yessir:
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2020, 10:01:20 PM »
It's all good, to each their own.  My perspective on trad MLs is typically a bit (or a lot) different than others. 

I use Swiss 3F for both pan and tube.  One horn satisfies both.  I've tried many different granulation and brand powders and find Swiss in 3F working best for all the flintlocks I've ever had (.32 to .62).  I like making horns and bags and knives and what not ...

I prefer easy loading ("loose loads") where the patched ball is thumb seated, pushed down with a brass insert i added to my patch knife, then a relatively easy push of the rod, ending in a few bounces.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2020, 09:00:35 AM »
My offhand shooter's bag and accoutrements ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The knife I made using a Green River 6" "rifleman's" blade ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Notice the brass ball seater I inlaid into the handle ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online KDubs

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
Nice stuff, I'll get to that stage eventually.
 Probably start sewing and carving around the time the  fat man comes to visit next month.
 There will a Good 3 months of cold n snow atleast , should be able to accomplish something.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.