Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: NMLRA: Why I cancelled my membership  (Read 1978 times)

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
NMLRA: Why I cancelled my membership
« on: October 06, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »
After cancelling several events due to the pandemic, the NMLRA has decided not to refund fees for camping reservations at its grounds. For some people, this is over $1,000 they laid out for the year.

The excuse is their "no refunds" policy in the agreement everyone signs. That agreement reads:
1) CAMP FEES

Camping fees must be paid for each camping unit occupying campsites. The  established rules and regulations will govern your conduct on the Walter  Cline Range campground. YOUR PERMIT MAY BE REVOKED for violations of any of the rules and regulations. NO REFUNDS.

That is the only mention of refunds anywhere in the agreement. The vast majority of people would interpret this to mean no refunds if the person reserving the site cancels, or if they get kicked out for violating the rules. Never does a venue keep fees if the venue cancels the event, but that is what they're doing.

It seems this policy was adopted when the NMLRA had to cancel an event after severe storm damage. They refunded fees then, and it nearly broke them financially. That was in 1996. In 24 years, the NMLRA has not improved its financial situation nor taken steps to ensure fees could be refunded if an event had to be cancelled.

The attitude so far has been, "Sorry, we are keeping your money. Rules are rules." They so much as said just that in their letters.

Nevermind they went ahead with plans for September while things were still uncertain. Nevermind the rules are vague. Nevermind it is unethical, and may be illegal to refuse refunds.

I had just joined the NMLRA in June, but if this is how they operate, I'm out. I emailed them and told them to cancel my membership.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
Re: NMLRA: Why I cancelled my membership
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 06:19:10 PM »
HA! They deleted comments and locked a thread on Facebook! On top of that, it appears they kicked me off their page! :luff:
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
They do seem to love their "regulations."  :o
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »
Well it sure seems like they've put the screws to their membership once again, which I'll add is not surprising...

IMHO, a person is better off to support their local muzzle loading club and events... I feel you're more apt to get a fair deal from them - then you will from the NMLRA...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 09:08:51 PM »
I quit the NMLRA when they decided to back inlines!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 09:25:31 PM »
Well it sure seems like they've put the screws to their membership once again, which I'll add is not surprising...

IMHO, a person is better off to support their local muzzle loading club and events... I feel you're more apt to get a fair deal from them - then you will from the NMLRA...
I was trying to be supportive, and was interested in the magazine. Muzzleloader is a better publication.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 11:18:33 PM »

I was trying to be supportive, and was interested in the magazine. Muzzleloader is a better publication.

Quite understandable JB67... I expect at one time or another most all here at the TMA was an NMLRA Member until they turned their back on their core value of traditional muzzle loading by siding with the modern Inline muzzle loading firearm industry... In short, they sold their organizations sole and didn't think twice about doing it...   

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 08:52:22 AM »
I think the NMLRA's actions are reprehensible ,  if not down right illegal. I also told them what I   thought of their larceny  and quit the organization . Removed their stickers from truck, too.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »
 a long time member of NMLRA sent me a BUNCH of their mags, which I read thru and disposed of..

he also quit due to the Inline debacle...and wanted to dispose of their mags

I would agree that if someone cancels an event they then need to belly up and refund any monies paid into them... NOT refunding if you're a PUTZ who breaks the rules and gets the BOOT only makes sense to me, but not this BS...

Alas, we all make our bed, then we lie in it! ;banghead;

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 06:29:03 AM »
Seems totally wrong to me for any organization to refuse refunding deposits for events they cancelled, no matter what the reason. But we have to remember that the first and most important job of EVERY organization is to survive...doesn't condone or excuse the NMLRA's actions, but makes them understandable...no less reprehensible, just understandable.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
Seems totally wrong to me for any organization to refuse refunding deposits for events they cancelled, no matter what the reason. But we have to remember that the first and most important job of EVERY organization is to survive...doesn't condone or excuse the NMLRA's actions, but makes them understandable...no less reprehensible, just understandable.

If they did it once,.... they'll probably do it again (if given the excuse). :(
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 11:07:58 AM »
If they did it once,.... they'll probably do it again (if given the excuse). :(

Indeed...when I worked in the RCA factory eons ago they had a crude saying, "Screw me once, shame on you, do it twice shame on me!!" so foretold is forewarned...

Not to pick a fight with ole tex, but I think an org's role is not to survive but to serve it's Membership...just my two cents...Too much of that 'devil take the hindmost" justification for bad behavior in today's world, in my not so humble opinion..., but then I'm old and cantankerous...  :Doh! 8) ;banghead;

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 12:45:17 PM »
It's just a very wrong thing to do to people IMHO...

I wonder how many folks had planned this as their first trip to a long standing event that they always wanted to attend (not to leave out those who attend annually) and this was their chance to actually get to go... I expect some saved for it for a very long time, and now they're out their money, their trip, their enthusiasm to ever try and attend another event like this,,, and perhaps now they never can afford to do so again. This was their first and only chance at something they had dreamed about for a very long time... I truly feel for those folk, and all of them that got the screws put to them...

It certainly doesn't speak very highly of the NMLRA in my humble opinion.

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 01:28:29 PM »
Excuse me but theft Is NEVER "understandable "  or excusable! Organizations  first job is to survive? So Enron's theft of  their own employees retirement  was understandable? Individual rights should ALWAYS outweigh organizations or corporations rights.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »
I was a member since the mid 80's. The national rondyvoo would give you a $10.00 discount for being a member so I quit when I only went to 1 national rondyvoo a year. I'd still be a member if I could get my membership dues back in voo discounts but there just isn't enough of them any more. They (association and foundation) lost me when they had nothing to offer me. The magazine is certainly nothing special either. member # 135092