Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: NMLRA: Why I cancelled my membership  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
Re: NMLRA: Why I cancelled my membership
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »
Looks like a consensus to me that it's not a favored organization no mo... ;banghead;

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 08:30:03 AM »
I love all the comments generated by my response...that's what makes a good discussion imo.

The thought (right or wrong) that an organization's first responsibility is to survive is definitely worth debate, but you will seldom see it stated. Normally, however, it is the guiding principle behind all operations. At least that holds true in most of the large organizations of which I have had experience. I agree...that doesn't make it right, but nevertheless it seems to be what guides most corporate decisions.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 08:50:29 AM »
Back in 1996, storm damage resulted in the NMLRA having to refund camping fees. It caused financial difficulties. For 24 years since, they have had the policy of no refunds under any circumstances rather than taking steps to mitigate financial risk from cancelling events.

If their financial situation is still that tenuous, they shouldn't be in business.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 01:18:45 PM »
No shenanigans like this will ever take place with the TMA,.... our TMA Members ALWAYS come first and foremost.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »
It seems like water has been a constant problem in Friendship, IN.
Either not enough
OR
Too much.
I heard that they finally got a water main bigger than a common garden hose installed and that helped some.
Flooding is a problem that seems beyond the means of the town and/or the organization.
Then this darn CORONA-19 struck and all bets were off.  It seems that if they had an ounce of brains, they would apply for some sort of Federal Grant and use that to repay the camping fees.
Say what you want to about the organization, and people do, but darn it, they know how to run one heck of a good shooting match.
Now, this COVID thing did not hurt a single little bit of the camping area, the target range or the trader's row, so there is no excuse for them not to refund the reservation money, even if they only sent back a portion of it and keep the balance   That would buy them a lot of good will, I think.  But I also am not a member anymore, wo I guess I don't have much say.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 12:17:08 AM »
Kind 'a wonder how the little Mom & Pop businesses in the little town of Friendship (right next to the NMLRA facilities) feel about that no refund policy?

It'll hurt their businesses as those National Shoots are "big business" for those little shops... I wonder if the NMLRA even bothered to take them into consideration on how their "no refund" policy will effect that little community that has always showed support for their NMLRA neighbor...

I have a hunch that "no refund" decision is gonna cause more trouble and effect more folks then a person may think once things return to normal...

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 08:31:53 AM »
ah yes, the NMLRA ... we knew and loved you SO well, SO many decades ago, now look what you've become.  yuck.

traditional muzzleloaders are a niche sport at best, nestled in the now much maligned and literally hated "American gun culture".  the bottom of the firearms totem pole in terms of popularity when ar15s and glocks are the darlings of young and old alike.  sure, the public interest spikes when period hollyweird movies make their brief scene (jeremiah johnson, the patriot, the revenant, etc), and then interest quickly wans. 

the NMLRA was a fine organization whence it was first contrived.  their focus, goals, and ideals were all something to reflect and admire.  today, that org is a mere ghost of what it was, and in every manner possible.  once a certain group assumed the NMLRA helm, things started heading south in bad way.  one of the first things the NMLRA enacted was to ban "blowing down the barrel".  the ban was to clearly to appease the public's misconception of that important safety practice. when the overall American interests in all things trad ML started to dissipate, and the NMLRA was feeling those monetary impacts with regards to footing all the bills required to keep and maintain their Friendship range and headquarters, desperate measures were taken.  first up was to acknowledge and support modern inline muzzleloaders.  eventually, 19th century cartridge rifles were also included.  so yup, this isn't Kansas anymore, Dorothy.  the NMLRA bubble done got burst and it's no longer anything like it was from the get-to.  the main reason is Friendship and the overwhelming need for survival capitol.

for more about "blowing down the barrel" and the NMLRA ... http://bwanabob.info/page2.html

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 10:04:25 AM »
Rob,

I've read this article before about blowing down the barrel (which I do, always have, and always will)...

IMHO it's a safe act, and the "Fool" that doesn't (know -or- realize) his/her muzzle loading firearm discharged when they pulled that trigger - well,,, I'd have to question their presence of mind to the point that they don't belong on a shooting line to begin with! They are the real danger.

Maybe I'm living in my own little world of Traditional muzzle loading, but after 40+ years of doing so I'm not about to change my ways no matter what a group from southern Indiana says...

I also believe in honesty and fair play, something IMHO the NMLRA forgot about and discarded a long time ago.

:shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »
Excellent article Rob,

Thanks to you both for your posts.

THE logic behind blowing is solid enough that I will always do it, indeed, I know guys who have fired a T/C , reloaded and then left the danged alum Ramrod in the bbl with the charged ball because they were chatting away...

Muzzleloaders require a different frame of mind then ctg gun with "white devil powder", but they all demand conscious thought and respect, not distraction...the above individual told me that on ignition he felt enhanced recoil with the 50 cal ball AND the ram rod, and wondered WTF till he went to  reload and found he had no RRod...I found it in a nice curled up state in the embankment at the 50 yard range next time there after he ordered a replacement and gave it to him for disposal and a reminder to be smart and keep his yap shut

I have not nor will ever be a member of NMLRA due to this fahdarah, but it's nice to read of the history and sad at the same time to see even out miniscule sport cave to the nummies... :(:(

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 02:39:43 PM »
 :hairy Thanks for sharing that article, Rob. It is spot on in my estimation. And, as always, if someone doesn't have the common sense necessary to pour piss out of a boot, well, they shouldn't be let out unsupervised... and by the way...I have burned my lips more than once...but never wrapped around the barrel of my flinchlock...just saying :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2020, 05:25:32 PM »
:hairy Thanks for sharing that article, Rob. It is spot on in my estimation. And, as always, if someone doesn't have the common sense necessary to pour piss out of a boot, well, they shouldn't be let out unsupervised... and by the way...I have burned my lips more than once...but never wrapped around the barrel of my flinchlock...just saying :lol sign

I havent burned my lips on a BP gunbarrel either but I can say it's left a hideous taste in my mouth on occasion :bigsmile: :luff: