Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New CVA Bobcat Stock  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
New CVA Bobcat Stock
« on: October 24, 2020, 04:04:33 PM »
A while back I sent the plastic stock for a little Bobcat I have, to Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, with a request that they replicate it in maple with a full stock.  Rather than trying to copy the whole stock they suggested using a T-C replacement stock, inlet for the CVA.  That's what we agreed on and they came in the mail yesterday.  The lock and trigger group fit perfectly, while I will need to do a touch of cutting where the corners are round instead of square to make the tang fit.  I am impressed with this; it will be a neat Winter project!  Photos will be forthcoming once I start work on it.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: New CVA Bobcat Stock
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »
A while back I sent the plastic stock for a little Bobcat I have, to Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, with a request that they replicate it in maple with a full stock.  Rather than trying to copy the whole stock they suggested using a T-C replacement stock, inlet for the CVA.  That's what we agreed on and they came in the mail yesterday.  The lock and trigger group fit perfectly, while I will need to do a touch of cutting where the corners are round instead of square to make the tang fit.  I am impressed with this; it will be a neat Winter project!  Photos will be forthcoming once I start work on it.

~Kees~

Outstanding!!! Can't wait to see it.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 02:49:41 PM »
 :hairy
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 06:48:13 PM »

Well, you are just going to have to wait.  This is a WINTER project!   :laffing :laffing :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 06:57:36 PM »

Well, you are just going to have to wait.  This is a WINTER project!   :laffing :laffing :laffing

~Kees~

Well, it's kind 'a winter here right now, Kees... 8 to 10 inches of snow and cold... Can I see it now???  :lol sign

I do look forward to seeing it once you have 'er all done.  :hairy

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 09:39:17 PM »
Well, with all the work being done by ShootrJ2003, I have been shamed into finally starting on the Bobcat.  It's been sitting in the closet with the new stock so yesterday I got the tang fitted, then drilled the holes for the lock bolt and tang - trigger plate bolt.  The plastic butt palate would never work so I have a brass one on order from Track.  The only problem was that Pecatonica had made the inlet for the lock a smidgen too deep so this morning I mixed up some thickened epoxy and dabbed that in the proper places, then set the lock plate (after liberally applying Johnson's past wax followed by Vaseline as release agents) in place even with the surface of the stock.  I did this rather than sanding the stock down, because the hammer was hitting the nipple inboard of being centered.  I believe it will now be smack on.

After seeing Hanshi's photo of the muzzle of his fowler I think I may go without a muzzle cap, maybe no thimble where the ramrod channel transitions into a hole in the stock.  Not sure about that last.

But, I have a question for the members here.  The plastic stock attaches the barrel with a wedge which I can use also on the wood one.  However, I will also have to fit one towards the front of the stock.  I am debating pinning the barrel in place instead.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of both ways to fasten the them together?  Other than the obvious advantage of wedges to remove the barrel for cleaning.

Okay, enough of this, I'm going to make some Sleepy Time tea for Carol and get ready for bed.

~Kees~
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Plastic stock - Wood pictures later!
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 11:47:14 PM »
Kees, I can only speak for myself...

On my rebuilds and builds, I always pin... If you oblong the hole in the barrel underlug (for the pin), you will have no problems with stock expansion and contraction when shooting as the wood stock will climatizes to temperature change, (from either nature or use from the barrel warming as you shoot). Oblong the pinhole in the lug - east to west. It doesn't take much.

Now you'll never see the stock reacting / but if the lug holes are not oblong - it will show up in accuracy.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »

You've done well, pilgrim.....  :hairy
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 05:21:01 PM »
On my rebuilds and builds, I always pin...
But why Joe?  What is the advantage of pinning versus wedges, other than that you have a cleaner looking stock?

You've done well, pilgrim.....
Thank you for the kind words, but let's wait until you see the final product; I have lots of chances to turn a nice stock into firewood!   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 06:28:10 PM »
But why Joe?  What is the advantage of pinning versus wedges, other than that you have a cleaner looking stock?

Well Kees, IMHO;

Yes, you can remove a wedge key on the hooked breech barrel for easy take out and cleaning. However, every time the barrel is removed,,, is it put back in the exact (and I do mean exact) spot from your last good zero point that produced good groups?

Should you have to loosen the Tang screw to get the wedged barrel out, is that Tang screw set at the exact same pressure it was before taking out the barrel for cleaning? Is the wedge to barrel at the exact same pressure once the wedge is removed - then re' inserted? (Now this might not show up immediately, but eventually it will).

With a pinned barrel you don't have these concerns... Your cleaning routine will be different most like, and that's not to say that you can't get a pinned barrel as clean as a hooked breech / wedge held barrel - because you can.

The less any barrel from any firearm riding in a stock - is not removed - that firearm will maintain its accuracy much better.

One other thing, (in the field or at the Range) a wedge can work loose - and even sometimes get lost in the field. Also when a wedge works loose you can tap the bottom of the wedge key holder to tighten it, but that also changes the pressure to the barrel / wood fit - and could affect accuracy.

I've never heard of a pin working loose, or even being lost in the field or at the Range.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 11:21:41 PM »
Good points Joe, thank you!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 09:21:33 AM »
You're welcome Kees.

I might mention too, that the above info was the leading reason I pinned the barrel's of all my dedicated competition ML Rifles, (which also led me to pinning my "everyday (so to speak)" ML Rifles.

I've seen many a Lyman & TC's, as well as the old double wedged CVA Mountain Rifle - hold their own on the firing line. I've seen some of them with their wedge pin(s) cover with a piece of bicycle inner tube and even electrical tape for harmonic's of no barrel to stock change during a 20 minute / 5 shot competition.

So in the end, it's what suits you best.  :shake

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 05:52:05 PM »
A question for Joe, Rondo, Rob & others who have built their guns.  I have a butt plate which will work just find (I hope  :laffing).  Now what is the best way to saw the butt to the contours of the plate?  Mind you, I don't have the fancy electrical tools except for a drill, skil saw and jig saw so no band saw, drill press etc.  I do have a good selection of hand tools.  I think I will have to position the butt plate alongside the stock in the proper position and then trace a pencil line along it to saw along.  After using a coping saw to make the cut I blacken the edges of the plate and position it and sand off the black on the wood.  Repeat until there are no places without black, drill the butt and screw the plate to the it, then sand/file any proud wood or metal until they are a perfect (???) match.  Is there anything I am forgetting?

Thanks,
~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 07:45:35 PM »
A question for Joe, Rondo, Rob & others who have built their guns.  I have a butt plate which will work just find (I hope  :laffing).  Now what is the best way to saw the butt to the contours of the plate?  Mind you, I don't have the fancy electrical tools except for a drill, skil saw and jig saw so no band saw, drill press etc.  I do have a good selection of hand tools.  I think I will have to position the butt plate alongside the stock in the proper position and then trace a pencil line along it to saw along.  After using a coping saw to make the cut I blacken the edges of the plate and position it and sand off the black on the wood.  Repeat until there are no places without black, drill the butt and screw the plate to the it, then sand/file any proud wood or metal until they are a perfect (???) match.  Is there anything I am forgetting?

Thanks,
~Kees~

Got images to share?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 09:33:22 PM »

Thanks,
~Kees~

Pretty much the way you do yours - is the way I do mine - only I use my band saw cutting from the rear into (close to the out-line of the butt plate / leaving it proud) - then I cut that curve away / again leaving the line proud,,, and then do the final shaping with files and sandpaper... So whatever works for you is the best way to go IMHO.  :bl th up  It still comes down to a piece of hardware that needs fitted.

You can't make it out in the picture - but there is a brass toe-plate at the bottom of the butt plate.