Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New CVA Bobcat Stock  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: New CVA Bobcat Stock
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2021, 03:07:01 PM »
I see gaps which should not be there but at this point I will continue on with the barrel under lugs.

Well, there's a fix for that... Just take either beeswax or dark wood putty - remove the butt-plate and put a edge of putty all around the underside of the plate and reinstall it - then edge off what squeezed out when the screws are tightened. The butt plate is IMHO, considered a permanent fixture (though it's something that can always be repurposed on another stock build...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2021, 01:38:41 PM »
That sounds like cheating!   :laffing

Still, I may have to try it once I have the stock finished.  Thank you for the suggestion!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2021, 05:02:07 PM »
Okay, I had a DeerHunter .50 (same as the Bobcat just mfg. for Traditions) for way over 20 years.  Being an old one it had a wood stock & ramrod and used, of course, a wedge key.  When I bought mine, early 1990s, it was the best rifle for the money I could find, being just a little over a "C" note.  With the brass butt plate & pins yours will be waaay nicer than my birch stocked, plastic BP model.

You are correct about the brass pin being used for the under hammer, I still have mine.  Several, or more, years ago I bought a small supply of ss 1/16" pin stock that I've been using to pin just about everything (muzzleloading) that needed a pin.  No rust and it worked really great.  It's not necessary, I know, just throwing it out there. 

From what I can see you're doing a far better job than I ever could.  Four of my rifles/guns lack a fore-end cap.  And from what I understand they can be frustrating to fit properly.  Plus they're really only needed on the styles of rifles that originally had them.  All of this you know already.

I am intrigued with your build and look forward to seeing the finished product.  The blood is a nice touch, by the way.   :bl th up
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2021, 05:57:02 PM »
I get my pin stock at a hobby shop that sells radio controlled planes. They use them for hinge pins on all the control surfaces. Never rust...
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2021, 10:36:14 PM »
Getting along s-l-o-w-l-y.  I have silver soldered some steel in the slots on the existing under lugs, then filed them down so they won't be deep enough to go into the RR channel.  The soldering job is not very elegant but it will serve its purpose (I hope), and they will be hidden in the wood.

Today I cleaned out the shop a bit and swept off the work bench.  I will continue with cleaning tomorrow, just so I don't get that stock wood dirty while making the inlets for the under lugs.  I'm waiting for the walnut stain I ordered, then I can put a finish on this puppy and put it together.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2021, 02:48:50 PM »
Time for an update.  I don't have new photos, that will have to wait a week or so.  However, I have the stock completed and now it needs 7-10 days to completely dry.  I stained it with Birchwood-Casey walnut.  I had read somewhere that B-C was an alcohol based stain, and I have also been advised to stay away from water based and use alcohol based.  So the stain arrived and it is water based.  Decided to use it anyway.  I had the stock smooth as the proverbial baby's behind, sanded down to 400 grit and whiskered several times until it wouldn't raise any more when wet.  After applying the stain it (of course) raised more whiskers.  A good rub down with 0000 steel wool took care of that problem.

I used GB Lin-Speed (https://www.lin-speed.com/), which I have used in the past with good results.  The instructions were somewhat different from what I remember (see the web site) but it came out very nice.  I am pleased with the end result.  The directions say to let the final coats dry 7-10 days so that is where I am at.

I ran into a small problem with the lock screw being a tad too short to get a good grip in the lock plate.  Being from Spain, it is metric, but I was able to tap the hole in the plate for a #8-40 thread and will order a new screw from Track of the Wolf while waiting for the finish to dry.  Otherwise it looks like the rifle is ready to be put back together, get some photos taken, and taken out and SHOT!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2021, 05:11:35 PM »
Gotter Done!  I don't think folks will notice the "oopsies" (and there are plenty!); it has been a learning experience.

Anyway, photos:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2021, 05:27:34 PM »
What I started with; I had already painted the black stock with a plastic spray-on paint.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »
I think it looks fine. Let us know how she shoots.  :shake

Have to say, that whenever I see these kind of projects, I just want to build something. Good thing cooler weather is getting here - or else I'd be out in the workshop...  :laffing

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2021, 08:14:59 PM »
Wow, that looks Great!  :hairy  :hairy

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2021, 09:54:25 PM »
Thank you for the kind words!  :bow Joe, notice that I bought the new stock several years ago.  Then I procrastinated until the middle of last year to actually get started on it.  Now it is another year before it has finally been completed, mostly because I was afraid I would ruin a good piece of wood so kept putting off working on it.

Like I said though, it has been a learning experience.  Now I'm thinking of getting a new stock for the Hodgepodge rifle from Pecatonica and turning it into a full stock....

I think it will shoot well; after all, Bobcat did well with the original plastic stock.  Maybe I'll use it for our October postal shoot, if we have one.  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2021, 10:09:44 PM »
Kees, I think that'd make a right nice handy deer rifle out in the woods.  :hairy

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »
Looks great!! I wouldn't  be  surprised if Traditions or DWG copied it.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
It definitely look way better than they ever come out of the factory looking.  I do like it with that full stock; very cool.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2021, 02:22:10 PM »
I got the idea for a full stock years ago from a lady on the old TradRag site.  She had sent her Bobcat to (oh curses, I can't remember his name - made the Rugrat guns) and he made it up for her.  Then she wrapped the barrel in string and used bleach on it to give it a different look other than plain bluing.  It looked pretty nice.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life