Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: TMA ***2021*** Postal Matches  (Read 14152 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
TMA ***2021*** Postal Matches
« on: October 25, 2020, 10:39:41 AM »
ALL NEW and open to ALL TMA forum registered users with NO SIGN UP FEE.  8)  :bl th up

That's right, ANYONE can enter the Postal Match ...
... just register at this, our TMA forum (Free!) ...
... and make a post here in this topic that yer gonna shoot the Postal Match (Free!) ...
... and off ya go, easy peasy!

Info about the matches will be posted here at this thread, soon ... DONE!  Read my post below ....

:*:

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: TMA ***2021*** Postal Matches
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
Cool,  looking forward to joining in.
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »
The TMA 2021 Postal Match will start on April 1st (no foolin', seriously 8) ) and end the last day of October.

ANYONE can enter the monthly contests, there are no match fees.  Submit a completed target face type for just one month, or a group of selective months, or all seven months - totally your call !

Trad muzzleloaders only, .31 to .75 in bore, iron sights, lead balls/bullets.  Long gun or pistol (either rifled or smoothbore), any traditional ignition system (flintlock, percussion, match lock, wheel lock) are all welcome.

You can use multiple trad muzzleloaders - it doesn't matter if one month you shoot a rifled long gun and another month you shoot a smoothbore pistol, or that you shoot at two target face types within a month and for each target face type a different firearm is used.  All that matters is that a firearm that meets the rules standards (shown above) is employed.  Lots of choices!

There are no "classes", run what ya brung, we all compete as one happy trad muzzleloader fun lovin' group.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

QUICK SYNOPSIS OF THE 2021 POSTAL MATCH

1.  Make a post in this thread that you will be shooting in the TMA Postal Match.

2.  Print and/or buy your target(s), mount each target with cardboard backing (this will allow the cleanest bullet holes).

Print out the TMA Bullseye target face for match shooting - http://tradmla.org/postal21/tma821.pdf

Print out the TMA Specialty Mike Fink target face for match shooting - http://tradmla.org/postal21/tmamf21.pdf

3.  Pick one or more months to shoot.

4.  Shoot for score!

5.  Submit your best scored target face by emailing an image of it to: score@TradMLA.org. Targets must be filled out with name, date, rifle or smoothbore, flint or percussion, caliber, and the total score.  All scored targets must be email dated no later than the last day of the month the face was scored. 

Scored target faces are posted in this thread - http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=25697.msg234058#msg234058

6.  That's it!

For more match details, see below!

TARGET FACES ...

There are LOTS of CHOICES for which target face type you wish to shoot and submit for your monthly score.

There are TWO face TYPES - the TMA bullseye and the NRA bullseye. 

Only one face TYPE for score submitted each month. 

You can shoot both target face types multiple times, but submit only one of each face TYPE for score, or only one face type for score - your call. 

For example, you decide to shoot both the printed TMA bullseye AND the NRA bullseye - you can submit the best scoring face for each face type.  OR, you can only submit the best scoring face of just one of the target face types, either the TMA target face or the NRA target face.  Your call. 

Or, you may wish to only shoot the TMA bullseye - shoot as many of those faces as you like, but submit only one face for score ... dittos for the NRA bullseye face.  Again, your call. 

On a monthly basis, the choice of target face TYPE to shoot and submit for score is entirely up to you.

NOTE:  You must have shot the target face you are submitting within the month of submission.  If you shot a target face in April, it can only be submitted in April.

You do not have to submit any target face types for score every month.  You can shoot just one month of the match and submit just one target face for score. 

All up to what you wish to do.  This is a very flexible postal match that allows you to compete just one month, or multiple months, or all seven months.

There will be monthly winners for each of the two face types, and an overall year winner for each face type, too. 

The more months you submit a target face type, the higher your year's aggregate score will be for that target face type.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

---> As usual, all targets are to be shot offhand at a measured 25 yards, five shots per target.

---> Bullet holes must completely break a scoring line to count for the higher value.

All target faces Must be secured to a cardboard backing - stapled, taped, glued, whatever - target faces must be held Tight to the backing as this will insure clean holes that all can see. There WILL be forthcoming holes in your target faces, right???   ;D

Submit your best scored target face by emailing an image of it to: score@TradMLA.org. Targets must be filled out with name, date, rifle or smoothbore, flint or percussion, caliber, and the total score.  All scored targets must be email dated no later than the last day of the month the face was scored.

Down below please find links to two of the target faces (the TMA bullseye and the TMA Mike Fink) we'll be using.  Just print the target faces out.  Don't have a printer?  Copy the two target face files to a thumb drive and bring it either to a friend (with a printer!) or a library or Staples, and have a few copies printed. 

The second and OPTIONAL NRA bullseye face must be purchased.  It's the NRA TQ-4 or TQ-4(P) (100 yard small bore target face, but will be shot at the same 25 yards).  We've added in this store bought target face for folks who don't have access to a printer or just would prefer shooting an official NRA target face.

The SPECIALTY target face is the printout "Mike Fink" that's pretty much a TMA yearly tradition.  It will be announced which one month that face will be shot.  We may decide to shoot that target as a two man team effort, more on this later.

Let's have some 2021 fun for a change!  :wave  :shake  :*:

PLEASE POST ON THIS THREAD IF YOU WILL SHOOT AT LEAST ONE MONTH OF NEXT YEAR'S SEVEN MONTHLY MATCHES

Print out the TMA Bullseye target face for match shooting - http://tradmla.org/postal21/tma821.pdf

Print out the TMA Specialty Mike Fink target face for match shooting - http://tradmla.org/postal21/tmamf21.pdf

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TMA Bullseye (Do NOT print the below image out for match use, it's for informational purposes only)
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

NRA TQ4 Bullseye (Do NOT print the below image out for match use, it's for informational purposes only)
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Mike Fink Specialty (Do NOT print the below image out for match use, it's for informational purposes only)
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 01:11:45 AM »
I'm in, for all of them, again.  :applaud
Clarification 1:  in paragraph  3, you said you can only post one target face but in paragraph  6 you say you can submit 2 target faces.
Clarification  2: the  distance  is 25 yards even for the NRA 100 yard target face.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:29:22 AM »
I'm in, for all of them, again.  :applaud
Clarification 1:  in paragraph  3, you said you can only post one target face but in paragraph  6 you say you can submit 2 target faces.
Clarification  2: the  distance  is 25 yards even for the NRA 100 yard target face.

I'm in too!   :wave

The NRA 100 face is used as one of the target face choices, but all target fact types are to be shot offhand at 25 yards.

I've reworded the section on target face types, please let us know if it makes better sense, thanx!

r.

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
I'll be shooting, too, it's going to be fun!
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 01:47:21 PM »
A welcome change, Rob! :hairy

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
Hey Rob, am I understanding this correctly? April comes around and I intend to shoot and submit targets, both TMA and NRA, for each of the seven months for the rifle aggregate. I would be able to shoot both face types, as many times as I want. Say I shoot a total of ten bulls, five of each. I can cherry pick from the ten and submit/download one TMA and one NRA target for my April score. If this is correct, the scores will most likely be hair-splitters decided by X counts. Suppose someone shoots a TMA face and scores 96-5X , and a 90-3X. He submits the 96 for April. Can he hold the 90 and submit it for May? Please know that no criticism is implied or intended, I just want to know how to do it so I can fairly compete. Thanks!
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 03:43:17 PM »
Hey Rob, am I understanding this correctly? April comes around and I intend to shoot and submit targets, both TMA and NRA, for each of the seven months for the rifle aggregate. I would be able to shoot both face types, as many times as I want. Say I shoot a total of ten bulls, five of each. I can cherry pick from the ten and submit/download one TMA and one NRA target for my April score. If this is correct, the scores will most likely be hair-splitters decided by X counts. Suppose someone shoots a TMA face and scores 96-5X , and a 90-3X. He submits the 96 for April. Can he hold the 90 and submit it for May? Please know that no criticism is implied or intended, I just want to know how to do it so I can fairly compete. Thanks!

In essence, yes, you are correct ... and that means the TMA 2021 Postal Match is a total and complete honor system.

This is quite unlike the partial honor system of before where you received in the mail an official uniquely stamped target face, and after punching holes in it you mailed back that completed target face for official scoring by the Match Director.  There are pluses and minuses with that Match methodology, but no matter what there is still an element of an honor system that is required (but still could be circumvented).

SO for our 2021 matach, yes, you could shoot lots of target faces in April and submit one face type for that month and another for May and so on.  We have no control over that. 

Good point!  We ask that submitted target faces be shot in the same month as their submission.  I'll add that to the rules!

There are pluses and minuses with any postal match methodology, but no matter what there is still an element of an honor system that is required.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »
NOTE:  You must have shot the target face you are submitting within the month of submission.  If you shot a target face in April, it can only be submitted in April.

Like Rob said though, it's strictly an honor system so if a person hangs on to the second best target for use in another month there isn't really much Rob can do about it....

Oh, and I'm in!  :bigsmile:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »
Merely a suggestion, but it might be fairer if a shooter who decided to shoot both target faces each month would put one of each target on the backer and then fire five at each bull. His submission would be to either submit one or both bulls. That would show what he or she was able to do that day that month, the day he "shot the match." Just like in a shoulder to shoulder match, no redos, no cherry picking. One and done. Just a thought. Five shots on one TMA bull each month is what I'm going to do. My average over the seven months will, show me how well, or not, I can shoot.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »
What really would be best, but clearly impractical, is to have a large cardboard backer with 8 faces - 7 of one type (let's say the TMA bullseye) and the 1 Mike Fink.  In April, submit an image of the entire backer with all faces, and 1 face will be shot up.  In May, put up that same backer and shoot another face, image the entire backer for posting.  Again, impractical due to the unwieldy backer size and having it lugged around for over half a year.

On another tack, maybe it's best to narrow this match down a notch to one face, the printed TMA bullseye ... ?

f.

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
Yes, I think that's a good idea.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
Merely a suggestion, but it might be fairer if a shooter who decided to shoot both target faces each month would put one of each target on the backer and then fire five at each bull. His submission would be to either submit one or both bulls. That would show what he or she was able to do that day that month, the day he "shot the match." Just like in a shoulder to shoulder match, no redos, no cherry picking. One and done. Just a thought. Five shots on one TMA bull each month is what I'm going to do. My average over the seven months will, show me how well, or not, I can shoot.

That's a fair concept that makes sense and to a degree would make the match a tad "fairer".  But given the enormity of this match's honor system from multiple perspectives, it might be added work for naught.  Also, at some ranges there can be only one target aiming spot.

There are so many ways to, er, circumvent postal match rules that i don't think it would matter much, but a great suggestion none the less!  :bow  :shake  :*:

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 07:50:00 PM »
By "good idea" I was referring to your thought to use just the TMA target. Perhaps a simple way to do it would be to: 1 print your TMA target, 2 put it on a backer, 3 measure 25 yards back, 4 toe the line, 5 shoot at it 5 times, 6 score it and notate the shooter's info, 7post the image online. Do this only once for each month that you want to compete and/or to have your scores tallied for the aggregate. Good scores and not so good ones will come out in the wash. Sure, cheaters can find many ways to cheat, but I bet 99.9% of the competitors will do it right. Hope this might help you as you work through this tough job as head honcho of the postal shoots.