Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 1F powder  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Doc Or

• TMA Forum Member
1F powder
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »
I normally use 2F in my smooth bores, whether it be the double barrel cap or my flint smoothies.

Does or has anyone used the 1F and how do you like it in the large smooth bores?

Is 1F worth bothering with?

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »
I have some 1f that I use occasionally in my Brown Bess. I mainly use it for heavy loads like buck and ball in the Bess.  It has noticeably slower ignition than 2f.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:20:51 AM »
I have used 1F powder mostly in large bore m/l shotguns it is a larger grain and shoots well in 8,6, and 4 bores .
Feltwad
                  ------------------------
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »
The primary concept for using Fg instead of Ffg, I think, is to reduce the pressure generated by the charge going off.  It is considerably less, which could be an issue as bore size and powder charges increase.

A while back, I did a conparisson test on my 8 bore and found that with a full charge of 300 grains, with Fg I got 1,435 fps out of it, but with Ffg, it delivered 1,525 fps.  The real surprising part of that test was that I tried it with Pyrodex Select RS and it gave me 1,610 fps.  Wow!  I really was not able to detect a difference in the recoil between the different powders.

Another issue with the Fg is it is dirtier than Ffg and leaves more residue.

My general rule of thumb is to use Fffg in pistols and rifles up to .50 caliber.  From .54 caliber to .72, I use Ffg, and for anything larger than that, is Fg.  Strangely enough, it is my understanding that some of the BPCR shooters are using Fg in their .45-110 and larger.  Not sure why.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »
I think it would depend what gage you're shooting. I've got 28, 20, and 12ga smoothbores. I use 2FF in my 20 and 2FF and sometimes 1F in my 12ga and 3FFF and sometimes 2FF in the 28.

I've got some 1F that I bought years ago and used in my 12ga flinter when our ML Club had a Trap Shooting league. I was told by some old timers that  1F made better shot patterns. I used fiber wads in those days and the 1F may have kept the wad from blowing a hole in the shot pattern.  

I still use 1F occasionally in my 12 when I'm hunting and can't see much difference than the 2FF for killin rabbits.  

Probably the best thing to do is to pattern your gun and see what it likes best.
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Doc Or

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
Well I just wanted some thoughts on this.
I have  a range of bore sizes, from 24 to 11.

It sound like it really wouldn't be worth messing with.
I'll just stick with the 2F, I know it works well.

Thanks ,  Doc  :toast

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 08:41:38 PM »
don't forget about 1.5F

Either Swiss or Goex (or both) make 1.5Fg powder - manufactured specifically, I believe for black powder cartridge rifles (e.g., Trapdoor Springfields like .45-70 to .45-100 etc.)

might be just the think if you're looking for a compromise between fouling, pressure, velocity, energy, etc.
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:02:53 AM »
Quote from: "Longhunter"
I still use 1F occasionally in my 12 when I'm hunting and can't see much difference than the 2FF for killin rabbits.

Hey Ron, have you ever compared turkey patterns using Fg vs FFg?
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
Quote from: "vermontfreedom"
don't forget about 1.5F

Either Swiss or Goex (or both) make 1.5Fg powder - manufactured specifically, I believe for black powder cartridge rifles (e.g., Trapdoor Springfields like .45-70 to .45-100 etc.)

might be just the think if you're looking for a compromise between fouling, pressure, velocity, energy, etc.

1.5F Swiss is what I've been using in my .54 riflegun for more than 2 years and it works great. Clean and accurate. Was told Swiss 1.5 was very similar to Goex 2F, never shot goex so I don't know.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80