Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: times are changing  (Read 1334 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: times are changing
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
JB,.... since you and I are the same age, I know selling out, packing up, and moving would be an unpleasant ordeal.
But that's exactly what this old man would do!  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline jimbowie1

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »
 I would like to but, this is my home and all my critters are buried up here my life has been here and IMO there really are not many states, that are not being taken over by the same type of people taking over this one the whole west and east coast are  not any place i would want to be,montana and idaho and wyoming  are getting bought out fromm cal people and the price of realestate is  way out of my grasp.I will stay here until my time comes to cross over. AND i will quit complaining on here, I just wanted to let out a little frustration, sorry about that.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 02:36:05 PM »
Yep, it's a lot different than when the Oregon governor, (who was it, Hall?) posted billboards on the California line that "Oregon is a nice place to visit, but Please don't move here..."  :bl th up

But yeah, when I was in Wyoming the layers & doctors from the big cities were buying up everything around Jackson.  The price of real estate and rent went astronomical.  The Supervisor's Office for the Bridger-Teton National Forest was there and they finally had to move it to (I believe) Afton because the employees couldn't afford to live there.  :Doh!

Thanks for the rant, though.  I've been trying to convince Carol that we need to move to the Washington or Oregon East side.  Maybe I should rethink that!   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 05:38:54 PM »
Times truly are changing...

I just read where an out of State hunter from Colorado miss took a Big Horn Ram (here in Nebraska around Scottsbluff) for a deer... It has cost him a $25,000.00 dollar fine... I bet he'll learn to recognize what critter he has a license to hunt before he ever pulls a trigger again in a Nebraska hunting season.

This is one of the reasons I prefer hunting the muzzle loading season with a traditional front stuffer. You have to get close enough to identify what the hell you're shooting at...

Now this happened in the high power rifle "deer season" going on now... My guess is; to long a range and not enough scope and he thought he was Carlos Hathcock...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »
I hear ya JImBowie and acknowledge yer plight.  You ain't alone, friend. 

I'm finally poised to move out out this poisoned state of NJ and finding it Very difficult to find a USA state that hasn't been infected, or is probably about to get infected ... and I don't mean a China flu infection, either.

The rights you have for your land have been etched away over the decades, as have mine.  It will take a minor miracle for things to get back to the righteous "normal" they used to be. 

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »
Guys, I really appreciate what you are saying.
When Ms. Smoke and I lived in Idaho, it was pretty idyllic.  We had 10 acres backing up to state land, on a dirt road, that going in 3 more miles was in the Kootenai National Forrest. Nobody was on property either to the east or west of us.  We lived in a nice log house that totaled about 2,200 sq, ft.  Detached was a 2 car garage with a narrow but usable workshop.  I could and did shoot right off the front porch.
About 15 years ago, we left our little bit of utopia and moved down to CA to care for my mother-in-law.  Although not something I would have ever considered, it was the right thing to do.  So we stayed here, even after the mom passed away.
So now, at 75, I think my moving years are a thing of the past.  We try to go back to Idaho every couple of years and we surely do not like the look of what we see.  Never in my life would I ever have imagined gridlock traffic on the main north-south thoroughfare.  The secondary roads on either side of it suffer the same fate.  It isn't the place I left anymore and it isn't the place I want to be.
So, I guess I will just stay where I am.  Being on the coast isn't my cup of tea, but I don't have to pack any boxes to stay, either.  The redeeming factor is that the weather is pretty nice on my arthritic back.  There is still the problem of the state being run by a bunch of liberal whackos, but that seems to be systematically a problem of most of the coastal states, east or west coast.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life