Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving, Folks !  (Read 1670 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Happy Thanksgiving, Folks !
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
Oooh, BOZEMAN!  I am highly envious of you.  I was at MSU twice for some 2 week courses put on for the Forest Service in 1979 and 1984, and loved the country.  Especially coming from Alaska, and seeing woods without tons of underbrush.  :laffing You are one lucky dog!   :toast

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 03:15:50 PM »
Oooh, BOZEMAN!  I am highly envious of you.  I was at MSU twice for some 2 week courses put on for the Forest Service in 1979 and 1984, and loved the country.  Especially coming from Alaska, and seeing woods without tons of underbrush.  :laffing You are one lucky dog!   :toast

~Kees~

I moved to Mt in the fall of 1979 and lived in Helena, but one of the goofy jobs I had allowed me to make contact with a guy in Big SKy, mt South of Bozeman who ran a fly shop there...

I visited and he and I fly fished together... in a warm spell (chinook) in like Feb-march...he invited me to move there and sublet his apt on the drive up to the ski resort (huntley lodge, IIRC)

I worked in his shop and guided on the Gallitin River as well...

Those were shinning times! :) 

I tried for jobs in AK but they had "residency requirements " by then so I tried on in coastal OR that was a total bust... I'd done just about everything under the sun around Helena from "gopher chokin in WY to working in the HS as a Custodian... I finally contacted some people back East and moved back to PA and took a job in a proprietary school (privately run biz school)... Ended up there a while, then hit Clarkson Univ in up-up state NY along the St. Lawarence and when that job tanked I still had a home near PSU so I moved back there and remodeled it and sold it off...

I fished ever square inch of the Galliten River from Snowflake Springs to the ribbons below Bozeman in the flats...... then I  ended up in Coastal Norfolk VA and got an invite to quide a guy in my old haunts.   Our old spots had out-of -state tag cars in em so we traveled some but even by 93' it was changing... I came back saddened...

I had friends in Boulder South of Helena and Butte... that was wild country back then...

I maintained some contact with natives for several years but that finally dissolved to.... :(:(

Nothing stays the same...

Age and time changes things.. :Doh!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 03:41:06 PM »
Howdy all! & Happy Thanksgiving!

For those that I am not connected with on "social media" - I am still out here, alive & kicking. I should probably change my user name to Riley/MT though, as I moved to the Bozeman area back in late October.  Got the covid in the first week of November. Still upright (mostly) and taking in groceries, though.

I don't imagine I will be able to get on here much in the near future, but once we get settled in out here and find some like-minded folk to hang out with, maybe I will have more to share.

'til then, you boys stay safe! Was your'n hands and don't play with your face! HA

Nice to hear from you Riley. Sorry to hear you got the covid, but at least you're on the mend it sounds like.

Bozeman, I'd guess that's a pretty good place for anyone to settle in.  Take care and stay in touch.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 02:43:14 PM »
Hey Riley/MT,
Thanks for the update.  Been through Bozeman many a time, but never spent much time there.  But being in western Montana, it's gotta be good.  Eastern MT is a bit too high plains for my liking, but it's still better than a lot of other places I have been.
Y'all take care and get rid of that darn COVID bug.
There are/have been some great rendezvous in your area.  Big ones at Polebridge, and one I especially like is the Tobacco Valley RDV in Eureka.  I remember going to their first one, and darned if I didn't win the shootin' contest.  That paid $125.00, and that was in I think 1978 or 1979.  That bought me a new Douglas barrel for my Renegade.  Then it was a shooter.
Anyway, there are a few others whose names I cannot recall, but they are there and they are worth finding out about.  That's assuming they won't all be cancelled next year.  Mountain Top TP usually has a schedule of most rondys on his web site.  Check it out.
Hope to be in Idaho next June, might be going over to MT to visit my cousin somewhere around there.  Maybe we will find time to have a cuppa.
Be well, stay safe,

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life