Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Current horn project  (Read 2520 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Current horn project
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 07:56:48 PM »
In a nut shell, yes. Some things to keep in mind. Iron and steel are different. If you use steel, make sure its good carbon steel, nothing with galvanizing or impurities, that is said to kind of ruin it. Its just like auqua fortis but instead of the harsh ( nitric?) acid, you are using vinegar. The vinegar breaksdown and carries the iron particals into the wood, the vinegar evaporates and whats theft is what you see. Its something I read about on American Longrifles. A guy by the name of LongJohn has done xtensive testing and writing about this. I just studied and experimented with what he has written. I think he actually has a degree in chemistry. In october, I started a new batch in a pickle jar using apple cider vinegar and wrought iron. Its still brewing. No one has said for sure but I think you need to let it cure for at least a month or two. I used some last winter for the first time on a restock, it had been brewing since 2014, I kind of forgot about it because I moved two states over in 15🙃 This is that stock, with the stain only and then after an oil finish.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online doggoner

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »
Thank you for the H2O2 trick. I had used this type stain before but was not happy with the "muddy" look. The slight "bleaching" affect of the hydrogen peroxide may have been the needed thing to reduce the "muddiness" of the stain. As it was, 220 then 320 sandpaper came to the rescue. Then some Laurel Mountain Forge stain. I'll try the vinegroon stain on some knife handle slabs on an upcoming project and see. Thanks again for the tip.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 10:41:40 PM »
Thank you for the H2O2 trick. I had used this type stain before but was not happy with the "muddy" look. The slight "bleaching" affect of the hydrogen peroxide may have been the needed thing to reduce the "muddiness" of the stain. As it was, 220 then 320 sandpaper came to the rescue. Then some Laurel Mountain Forge stain. I'll try the vinegroon stain on some knife handle slabs on an upcoming project and see. Thanks again for the tip.

doggoner

Happy to help. Theres other subtle things that can make a difference like concentration or percentage of vinegar. If after cureing you get a green or muddy brown look, just adding straight vinegar to change the balance will most always take it to the redish shades rather than brown. Thats why I ALWAYS test it on a scrap pc and if possible a scrap pc of the project you are staining.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 12:28:45 AM »
Well we got a little side tracked there but I been keepin after that little horn and pretty much gotter done just before 11 tonight. Just need the spout plug and a strap. Right side carry, pinned woth thorns and sealed with beezwax. Plus now theres 3 coats of johnsons pastewax  added.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 12:43:07 AM »
More pix
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 04:01:40 AM »
That's a really nice little horn!  :bow  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »
The band came off of another horn? 

:hairy That sure turned out nice!  Now we need a photo of the horn hanging by your side, just to get a true judge of scale.... :wave

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:02 AM »
The band came off of another horn? 

:hairy That sure turned out nice!  Now we need a photo of the horn hanging by your side, just to get a true judge of scale.... :wave

~Kees~
Thanks Kees,
Yes, to make bands, I cut slices of a donor horn, put them on a tapered arbor of wood on the lathe and true them up. I make my arbor from an old wooden baseball bat due to it already haveing a taper. This method is termed applied bands, they are applied to the horn and pinned in place. There were horns with carved bands but they were mostly a regional method in new england area .
Its a fairly small horn designed for a small caliber rifle. But when I get a strap on her, ill get another photo.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online KDubs

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »
 :hairy
Good stuff
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »
This is the making bands set up. Took me awhile to find the pix.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21