Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Which diameter ramrod for a .54?  (Read 1526 times)

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Which diameter ramrod for a .54?
« on: January 18, 2021, 04:02:59 PM »

TOW sells a stainless 5/16" steel ramrod with a wooden handle.  5/16" is just over .30". 
Is that rod going to be too thin for use on a .54?

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Which diameter ramrod for a .54?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
5/16 steel rod would be more than sufficient for a .54.  Or for most anything, really.

For a wood rod, I would think 3/8 would be adequate, as that is the size of most undergun rods.  For a range rod, a 7/16 is a good choice.
I loaned my wood 7/16 rod to someone to use decades ago.  Of course, he was able to break it.  Still have it but don't use it now.  I glued it back together and for me it works fine, but I would never loan it out again.  Years ago, I worked in a chain saw shop.  From seeing the things people brought in to have repaired, I developed a motto of sorts.  Never loan out your truck, your chain saw, your tools, your guns or your wife.  You will not get any of them back in the same shape you loaned them. :bigsmile:
Gotta go,

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:12:58 PM »
AS Mr. Smoke said, 5/16" steel rod will be fine for a range rod.  It might be a tad heavy to use out in the field.  Most thimbles are made for a 3/8" rod, so that smaller rod would rattle a bit when you are carrying it, plus it wouldn't be very secure in the thimbles and could slip out if you carry the rifle with the muzzle down, i.e. in the rain.  3/8" wood will work just fine; that's what I've always seen come with a .54.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 05:18:31 PM »
I'm asking about it for a range / bench rod. It is for cleaning, mostly.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 05:21:31 PM »
From seeing the things people brought in to have repaired, I developed a motto of sorts.  Never loan out your truck, your chain saw, your tools, your guns or your wife.

Back in the early '70s one of our neighbors asked to borrow my chainsaw (blue Homelite XL-12) to cut some timbers for the septic tank he was making.  Foolishly, I agreed.  Later we needed to go out and swung by to see how he was doing.  I was just in time to see him cutting a creosoted 6X6, and sparks were flying as he tried to cut through a spike!  He just could not understand why I wanted my saw back at that instant.  :Doh! Never loaned tools out again.

Unfortunately my ex-wife loaned herself out a time or two....  :scared:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 09:39:33 PM »
Kees, That's what I am talking about.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life