Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Small Town Living  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Small Town Living
« on: February 02, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
In my humble opinion, you just can't beat small town living...

This morning (around 6:30 AM) I ran to the Post Office to throw a few "bills" in the mail, and on my way back home I noticed the front left of my pick up was starting to sag down a bit, like I was getting a flat tire,,, so I whipped into the gas station that opens a 6:00 AM, and does tire repair (I've known these folks for a lot of years) and they jumped right on fixing the problem in no time... Apparently I must have hit a bump and caused a leaky bead seal... They got me fixed up in no time!

You just can't beat small town living! Everybody knows everybody, and since I've lived here for over the last 33 years - not much has changed at all with our small community. Folks still stop and visit one another when we're headed somewhere, and we always wave at our neighbors and folks we know, and don't know... It's not uncommon to stop in the middle of the road and start visiting - then if there's traffic coming we make way by going on our way - or we pull off to the side and finish our visiting - (which in my case is a lot of BS'n and laughing as we exchange stories).

There just ain't any better place to live IMHO! We may not have everything the big towns have, but I don't think we would change a thing of what we do have. I know I wouldn't!!! And in our own way, we watch out for one another.

Small town living may not be for everyone, but it sure suits me just fine!!!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Butler Ford 40

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Small Town Living
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 11:27:56 AM »
Back in the mid 60's, the sign at our limits of our fair city listed the population @ 2800 now 45 years later we're at a whoping 4600!  Lived on a dirt road and if two were stopped to talk and a third came along (a rare occasion), one of the two would shift a little so the third could join the conversation.
Now it's the grandkids of those same folks on the now paved and widened road that roll through in their jacked up, turned up diesel trucks trying to make like Barney Oldfield. ( Ya gotta be pretty old to know who Barney Oldfield was)
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:31:24 AM »
Joe, I couldn't agree with you more.  Small town living is the way to go.  But the best way is to live in the mountains where you cannot see a neighbor.  That's what made me smile for over 20 years when we lived in Idaho.
It was quite the cultural shock when we moved down here to CA to care for Ms. Smoke's mother.  But I guess it's not too bad, we are now in an ocean side town of about 10,000 people.  Not ideal in my mind, but it sure beats the heck out of Los Angeles or San Francisco.  Honestly, I cannot understand how people put up with that.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 12:46:25 PM »
The biggest (and only) town I have lived in,.... is Manderson, WY population +/- 100  :)  :applaud

Good people!  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:57:19 PM »
Yeah, sometimes I miss small town life too.  :hairy
I grew up in a small town, about 1,000 people, in SE Arizona. So small we only dialed 4 digits to call someone else in town and then wait on the party line for the old lady down the street to stop listening in.  No stoplights, I think there were 4, maybe 5, stop signs total, no fast food, one small store. For fun, other than school sports, we'd follow the dogs down the road to the pond or the river to cool off in the water, or grab our 22s and hunt jackrabbits.  Only downsides I can remember was having to check the porch for rattle snakes before stepping out the door or having to chase the javelina out of the garden.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
Small town living?  ABSOLUTELY!   :hairy :hairy

Online KDubs

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »
john mellencamp was right on when he sang about a small town.   its good enough for me.
kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:40:08 AM »
I spent the majority of my Air Force career at small  overseas bases. I imagine that's very similar to small town living. It's  also what I  miss most about my service.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 09:52:18 PM »
I spent the majority of my Air Force career at small  overseas bases. I imagine that's very similar to small town living. It's  also what I  miss most about my service.
Were you ever on Shemya, at the end of the Aleutian Islands?

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 10:12:01 PM »
This thread got me kinda curious wondering who actually lives in the smallest town. Last I heared, my little metropolis has about 750 people. We don't have any stoplights but have plenty of stop signs.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 02:40:45 AM »
This thread got me kinda curious wondering who actually lives in the smallest town. Last I heared, my little metropolis has about 750 people. We don't have any stoplights but have plenty of stop signs.
Just under you @700 but I doubt it’s the smallest that will be told. We have gas pumps with no retail connected, just pumps, a greasy spoon, a pizza joint, bank,Ins dealer and kabota  dealer and not much more. Oh we do have a legion, but it’s smaller than my shop.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 04:45:40 AM »
Hank, when you were in Kentucky, you were in Bliss, Ky.  So small that when the owner/operator/postmaster of the store died, it was taken off of the map.  Small enough?

Edit to add:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss,_Kentucky
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 09:09:57 AM »

Were you ever on Shemya, at the end of the Aleutian Islands?

~Kees~
[/quote]

No Kees,  most of my Overseas service was in Asia. Alaska was a little too cold for me.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »
Hank, when you were in Kentucky, you were in Bliss, Ky.  So small that when the owner/operator/postmaster of the store died, it was taken off of the map.  Small enough?

Yeah Bill, that's pretty small. Gonna be hard to beat that one.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell