Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fowling guns  (Read 1386 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Fowling guns
« on: July 07, 2021, 02:41:34 PM »
A friend and I have been discussing fowling pcs and the convo led us to the question. The sleek , refined American Longrifle of the golden age derived from the Jager hunting gun( think transitional Christian Springs), but what arm did the long,sleek and light American or new England fowling pc derive from?
I think the English fowling pc more than the French fusil or trade gun but perhaps it WAS and combination of styles.
I hope Feltwad finds this thread and offers input.
Ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Fowling guns
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 07:57:09 PM »
Dan,
I'm surely no expert on this field, more like a rank amateur.  But I can see some likenesses between the Chief's Grade Trade Gun and fowlers of the period.  And I could surely be 180 degrees off on that thought.
That's my thought and it's worth what you paid for it.  Zero, nada, zilch.
By the by, on my vacation, I picked up a pretty nice North Star West Trade Gun in 12 gauge.  I think it will be fun to shoot.  I have always had a liking for a .715 round ball.   :applaud
I'd post some photos of it and a few other things, but I forget what program I use to host images.   :Doh!  :Doh!  :Doh!
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 02:42:02 PM »
 :o I'm also a rank (on a hot day) amateur but unlike Bigsmoke, I have a membership card to prove it!  So I have to agree Bigsmoke is more likely RIGHT than WRONG, or so I believe hope is the case.   :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 04:22:38 PM »
A friend and I have been discussing fowling pcs and the convo led us to the question. The sleek , refined American Longrifle of the golden age derived from the Jager hunting gun( think transitional Christian Springs), but what arm did the long,sleek and light American or new England fowling pc derive from?
I think the English fowling pc more than the French fusil or trade gun but perhaps it WAS and combination of styles.
I hope Feltwad finds this thread and offers input.
Ridjrunr
If I new exactly what you are looking for I may be able to help . Here in the UK  a fowling gun is more for shooting wildfowl and come in bore sizes from 10 bore  up to a 4 bore . Guns smaller than a 10 mostly from 12  and smaller are known has sporting guns or game guns .
Feltwad

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 06:30:44 PM »
:o I'm also a rank (on a hot day) amateur but unlike Bigsmoke, I have a membership card to prove it!

Darn, Hanshi, I'd sure appreciate it if you could post a photo of your membership card.  I have always wanted to see one of them, and truth be told, I am green with envy about that.   :luff:

And Feltwad, I think we are talking more about Sport or Game guns, probably 12 gauge to 20 gauge sizes.  Most of our trade guns here are in 20 gauge and I would think that the New England fowling pieces pretty much follow that same thought.  Appreciate anything you can add to the conversation.  Thank you.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 08:06:29 PM »
Yes, I was referring to the 20,16&12 ga guns and civilian styles rather than military which were larger in bore size.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21