Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: When selecting a powder horn  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
When selecting a powder horn
« on: February 01, 2021, 09:52:32 PM »
I have learned that a good horn should be made of horn. It should be air tight. It should hold enough powder for your needs. There should be a way to attach a strap. Is there anything else? 

What traits does a quality (well made) horn possess?  What do YOU look for when you're selecting your next horn?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: When selecting a powder horn
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 10:04:01 PM »
I have learned that a good horn should be made of horn. It should be air tight. It should hold enough powder for your needs. There should be a way to attach a strap. Is there anything else? 

What traits does a quality (well made) horn possess?  What do YOU look for when you're selecting your next horn?

All very true!!! It should also feel comfortable when using it and not cumbersome, and feel comfortable the way it hangs over your shoulder.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:58 PM »
A good spout with correct or at least comfortable spout hole for pouring into your measure. Also a good fitting spout plug that wont fall out
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 11:17:06 PM »
When choosing a powder horn, right-hand-carry and left-hand-carry should also be taken into consideration.

A proper carrying powder horn should have a bit of "curve" or "twist" in it to follow the curvature of your rib cage (at least that's what some of the experts say).  :)  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »
I agree with all the above remarks about the fit and function of the horn.  And I will add one more thing to consider. 
It has to look good as well.  And I am not necessarily talking about a horn that possesses any fancy engrailing, rings and grooves, intricate lathe work on the base plug, etc.  I am talking about the overall appearance of the horn, whether it has nice graceful curves, a pleasing taper from back to front, the natural coloration of the horn and so forth.  Let's face it, you will only be actually using the horn for maybe 1 or 2 % of the time you own it, the rest of the time it will be hung up on a wall or something.  So the horn should make you smile every time you happen to glance at it.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 10:32:57 AM »

It has to look good as well. 

Agreed. Do the looks effect the price of a basic undecorated horn?

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 10:44:21 AM »
I don't think the looks would effect the price of the horn.  The name of the maker probably would, though.
I would suggest you talk to Gerry at Powder Horns and More back in New York.  You can Google the contact info.  I think you would be well satisfied with anything you got from him.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »
I don't think the looks would effect the price of the horn.  The name of the maker probably would, though.

That makes sense, John. I guess at some point, market forces are the controlling factor. Name of the maker. Volume of sales. Cost and availability of source materials.