Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Question on my first build.  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
Question on my first build.
« on: March 05, 2021, 06:18:49 PM »
I ordered in December and finally received a Northwest Trade Gun kit from Pecatonica River. I know it's not a drop in kit so I know I have my work cut out for me. Being my first build I had them install the breech plug, solder the front sight and install the barrel lugs.

My question is how do I approach fitting the barrel in the stock. Specifically with a soldered front sight and what appears to be two of the three barrel lugs soldered of course the barrel isn't going to lay flat in the channel.

So it seems my options are 1 either remove the two soldered barrel lugs and proceed as normal or 2 remove the breech plug and fit it first into the stock then screw it to the barrel and I'll have a much better idea where to inlet the lugs.

So finally my real question. How to heat the barrel lugs to remove them. I would think they are silver soldered. What I mean is do I just heat the crap out of the lug itself and try to keep the barrel as cool as possible? Or heat both evenly? Or heat the barrel more? I believe I'll need 1100 degrees or so which is on the red spectrum. I just don't want to destroy my barrel.

If there's a third option I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance for any and all insights.

-Danny

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Question on my first build.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
Welcome to the TMA forum!
Is the barrel channel cut into the stock at all?
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 08:03:08 PM »
Your sight and lugs could very well be soldered on with the new "low temp solder" that's been around these last few years.
So you might not need a whole lot of heat to get the lugs off.  :bl th up  :pray:

What is the barrel length, and how many lugs?
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:08:59 PM »
If the barrel channel is already cut - you need to soot (or use inletting ink) on the bottom of the lugs and inlet them.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 11:56:55 AM »
Welcome to the TMA forum!
Is the barrel channel cut into the stock at all?

Yes the barrel channel is cut into the stock. It looks to be a nice fit without much wood to be removed.

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 11:58:25 AM »
Your sight and lugs could very well be soldered on with the new "low temp solder" that's been around these last few years.
So you might not need a whole lot of heat to get the lugs off.  :bl th up  :pray:

I tried to heat with a propane hand torch but was overly cautious. Do you know what temp the low temp solder would melt? More importantly... can I harm the barrel by heating it too much? It's a smooth bore.

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »
If the barrel channel is already cut - you need to soot (or use inletting ink) on the bottom of the lugs and inlet them.

Yes I understand this is the first step but every Youtube video I have seen the barrel and breech plug are inlet before the lugs are on. The breech plug is worst fitting and will need the most inletting. As such I don't know how far rearward it will settle.

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »

The barrel length is 36" It has three lugs. The lug on the octagonal portion of the barrel was dove tailed and I was able to remove it already.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 12:05:21 PM »

Yes I understand this is the first step but every Youtube video I have seen the barrel and breech plug are inlet before the lugs are on. The breech plug is worst fitting and will need the most inletting. As such I don't know how far rearward it will settle.

Can you post a pic of the plug? not all plugs are made the same and having a pic will help in the mentoring of the how to.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 12:08:47 PM »
I'm at work (reading these posts... oops) but I will take pictures tomorrow to post.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 08:07:59 PM »

I tried to heat with a propane hand torch but was overly cautious. Do you know what temp the low temp solder would melt? More importantly... can I harm the barrel by heating it too much? It's a smooth bore.

Low temp solder melts at 430 degrees,.... silver solder melts at around 840 degrees.

I'm not a "soldering expert" by any means, but I doubt getting a smooth bore barrel up to 840 degrees will damage it, I've never tried it because I've always used 95/5 (which melts at 465 degrees) for soldering sights and lugs. Just be aware that a smooth bore barrel can heat up to 840 degrees (and beyond) faster than an octagon barrel because it's thinner. 

Hopefully someone who does a lot of soldering on thin walled barrels will chime in with their advice.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 08:37:35 PM »
Wish I could see a pix. Am not understanding why you want to remove lugs if the channel is fully cut.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 09:22:37 PM »
Wish I could see a pix. Am not understanding why you want to remove lugs if the channel is fully cut.

I believe that there is a lot of work left to do to inlet the breech plug.  It may end up shifting back, so if the under lugs are already inlet to allow the barrel to fit down in the channel, the inlets would have to be moved back also.  It will be much neater to take them off, inlet the breech plug and make any necessary adjustments to the barrel channel, then reinstall and inlet the lugs.  At least, that is what I gather from the posts here.  If I'm wrong I am sure someone will correct me in the usual, gentlemanly fashion.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 06:13:37 PM »
That's exactly my thought process.

Online doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 07:59:56 PM »
Try this for some info. https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf. You will learn some good tips and methods. Mike Brooks is a good builder. My personal take is to NOT remove the lugs and inlet them. Make the slots a bit longer so the barrel can "shift" with the heating and weather etc. etc. A sixteenth of an inch should be plenty. I would caution you to READ,READ and READ some more first. Have a plan of "attack" and go for it. When it's done, it's YOURS. Good Luck with your build. Another warning--- This can get addicting real fast.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.