Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The other project  (Read 9860 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: The other project
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 12:47:29 AM »
Beaverman,
  I see that you are a Semper Fi also ,I just reconnected with one of my best friends from the Corps. We talked for hours. But stuff is still upside down and out of focus—- my pictures or is it me?

OORRAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!, no it's the system that's weird, have you looked at RobD's tutorial for posting pics, and yes, size does matter, every time I post more than 1 pic I need to reteach myself how to do it!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 02:42:17 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] theses pics are of the barrel finally set in as it will the wedge tenons are in laid ,the vent is where it should be and I am inletting the tange which seems to be tight to the barrel and stock ,one problem I messed up I inletted for the underrib but did not drill the ramrod hole or inlet it first this is a problem because I don’t have flat surface at the front of the stockto start the hole now.but,my wife bought me a set of dogleg chisels,they help big time
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »
That's looking GOOD!  :hairy  You are fairly flying along in my opinion.  If it were me doing that I would probably be at the stage of clamping the stock in the vice about now....  :laffing Thank you for keeping us in the loop.   :toast

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 09:09:54 PM »
You don’t understand,I been study in’ it since 2013-I don’t remember how long before that my son in law gave me the wood! Seriously,I have been lucky only minor mess ups ,I took tonight off from it as I just got my second COVID shot other than aching joints I’m fine,but I ache anyways! I needed some tools extra than what I had and my wife bought me a set of good dog leg chisels from Narex,they cut nice the tang is next my plan is to use Forster bits then chisel what’s left,also I forgot to drill my ram rod hole before inletting for the underrib this gonna make it hard to drill.however,thanks for the complement ,coming from you ,and Beaverman,makes me feel good.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 10:52:43 PM »
You don’t understand,I been study in’ it since 2013-I don’t remember how long before that my son in law gave me the wood! Seriously,I have been lucky only minor mess ups ,I took tonight off from it as I just got my second COVID shot other than aching joints I’m fine,but I ache anyways! I needed some tools extra than what I had and my wife bought me a set of good dog leg chisels from Narex,they cut nice the tang is next my plan is to use Forster bits then chisel what’s left,also I forgot to drill my ram rod hole before inletting for the underrib this gonna make it hard to drill.however,thanks for the complement ,coming from you ,and Beaverman,makes me feel good.

:hairy I just found a new channel on you tube called Golden Mean Flintlocks, watched the young mans first 3 vids on a build he doing by hand, has some good tips and pointers, well worth a watch!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 11:07:48 PM »
You don’t understand,I been study in’ it since 2013-I don’t remember how long before that my son in law gave me the wood! Seriously,I have been lucky only minor mess ups ,I took tonight off from it as I just got my second COVID shot other than aching joints I’m fine,but I ache anyways! I needed some tools extra than what I had and my wife bought me a set of good dog leg chisels from Narex,they cut nice the tang is next

my plan is to use Forster bits then chisel what’s left,also I forgot to drill my ram rod hole before inletting for the underrib this gonna make it hard to drill.however,thanks for the complement ,coming from you ,and Beaverman,makes me feel good.

Your not alone, I sat on a precarve that was duplicated for 7-8 yrs because I was intimidated by the figure. Finally went after it and finished it last winter. Hats off to you and your project, yer doin great 👍🏻
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 08:34:44 AM »
Thanks for the complements and encouragement,I will look into that “ Golden Mean Flintlock” video it sounds helpful.just to let everyone know I received my second shot yesterday”( Moderna) at the VA,and as expected it made me feel real achy,and maybe feverish ,any aches you might have get a little worse,however,at 0800 this morning I,it seems to be abating and  think I’ll be ready to eat corn beef and cabbage!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »
I watched that 1st video,I will have to watch it again,excellent info,I will now drill my ramrod hole ,I actually inletted too deep for my under rib and had to replace about 1/8” of wood seeing how there is not much more than that between the barrel and ramrod hole ,luckily there is still an inch and a half  or so to cut off the the front of the stock so after that the repair is only a short bit left.I guess I have not thought much about the ramrod hole till now,I see it might be my next big trial! One thing I learned about deep holes is they can wander,I did a couple of buttstocks of conventional guns for the butt bolt and your best to drill that first then shape the stock,that won’t work here ,I noticed my  modern guns have the tunnel partly routed out and looked into older guns back into the 1800’s some also used this method   So that looks like a way to go,especially considering the curly maple I’m working with.For some strange reason I feel compelled to consider that I will,or may build a long rifle some day and I see that it might get more involved and tricky with a longer stock ,but it’s actually pretty simple it’s really only where the hole starts and where the last three inch’s end up that matters,everything in between just has to stay within the finished surface of the stock right?

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »
Another update for those interested [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] the last one is my homemade barrl inlet scraper, [ Invalid Attachment ] it did not seem worth the trouble at first then I changed the angle of the edge and much better,the last is my homemade router table which became invaluable,and as you can see I did rout some of the tunnel from above  [ Invalid Attachment ] and I am glad I did because I had to and was more easily able to straighten out my drills wandering ways it ended up precisely where I was Wanting it it went sideways  just a bit in he first 6”.all is good now.
 I talked to the guy at Stonewall creek outfitters,and decided on a L&R  900t which is thier Hawken lock as opposed to their rpl lock since I’m not really replacing it in a Lyman only part of a Lyman!but since I’m inletting the whole lock it is good and he told me it was a better lock than the rpl which is also better and the same cost I don’t think I can argue with that, I chose the “ pierced” or double neck cock I just like the looks.
 ,OH, the Ramrod goes right into the hole guess that’s what counts? I don’t think I can do more work without the furniture and lock now.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2021, 10:27:16 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, it looks like an interesting project.  :bl th up  :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline KDubs

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2021, 11:35:21 PM »
I'm enjoying the progress.  Looking good
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 01:14:50 PM »
I’m glad it’s appreciated,I’m kind of stuck right now can’t do to much more shaping til I get the lock and hardware even the butt stock is needing the butt plate I can rough shape it but not much more I can inlett the hook breech but I was even considering a longer one for that instead of the Lyman.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 03:07:24 PM »
Getting a longer one would be good, if only to get away from Lyman's patent breech!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »
I went with the Lyman just because I had to keep the ball rolling however it was a bitch,and the hook breech became dictator! While I thought I had the barrel inlet done,the Hooke breech said no,you have to make the barrel go deeper because I have to be deep enough to have wood over me for shapin the top of the wrist,almos,almost 1/8” deeper and it would not,could not get along with me until the inlet started to grow and threatened to be too wide I solved the communication problem by glueing the barrel to the hook breec and the served as one unit to line up and layout, then I realized the problem And began file ,scraping and sanding ,it will look good when finished,however if I find a hooked breech tang That I like and wider I may consider it

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 09:49:32 PM »
Its starting to look like a riflenow,I ordered the buttplate, trigger guard sight and forend cap from the Hawken shoppe. But i dont think i like the forend cap so i ordered a different one from TOW along with an iron entry pipe,this week i will order yhe L&R 900d lock from Stonewall Creek outfitters, no special reason except i like those two and he reccomended the 900 as a better lock and i like the double neck on the 900d. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] so I am getting somewhere long way to go but I have not yet trashed a piece of wood!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609