Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Question on my first build.  (Read 2065 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Question on my first build.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
JUST an FYI but you may consider getting a copy of "The Gunsmith of Greeneville County" by Alexander, I truly believe that if you had nothing but that book as a tutorial and followed Peters mentoring and how to process ... you can build a right fine long gun! lots of pics and easy to follow instructions.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 02:03:46 PM »
First chips out on this first build. Barrel and plug starting to settle in. I don’t think the breach face of the stock is square with the rifle channel. I’m going to remove the lugs so I can sit the barrel in it’s channel in order to transfer color to the breach face before I remove any more wood.  Ok

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 05:26:52 PM »
Why not remove the breech plug, inlet the barrel, install the plug and finish inletting?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 05:58:23 PM »
All the same problems are there. The barrel does not center in the stock because the lugs raise it up proud of the stock. So if as I suspect the breech face of the stock is not quite square to the barrel channel I really can't precisely tell this without the barrel settled into the stock. Then I will need to remove wood to square the breech face of the stock which will move the barrel and thus the lugs rearward up to a quarter inch. I just heard from the mfg that I can remove the lugs with a propane torch. Plus I gain the skill of soldering.

I'm sure there are a million ways to do this. I appreciate everyone's input. I'm just trying to find the way I'm most comfortable with. I'm probably overthinking things but that's just what I do.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 01:08:01 AM »
If you have the breech face part of the stock pretty well squared off, you can cut the slots for the lugs as you lower the barrel down into the stock.
When doing this, "inletting black" or candle soot is your best friend.  :bl th up

Don't worry if your lug slots aren't "tight", you want a bit of "play" fore and aft in the lug slots, to allow for a little movement, as your barrel heats up and cools down.  :bl th up

Once the barrel and tang are sitting firmly in their inletted bed and you've clamped the barrel in the stock, you can then drill the pin holes through your stock (and each lug).
Be sure to elongate the hole in each lug (but NOT the stock) to allow for the same barrel expansion mentioned above.  :bl th up :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »
I am so happy. I got the lugs off and the barrel seated down in the stock. I still need to address the section where the octagonal section transitions to smooth. There’s a bit of seesaw situation there. As you can see from the pics the breech face is almost flush. The sides of the inlet weren’t even but I’m on my way. My original propane torch had too soft a flame to melt the solder. It is ok’d and unadjustable.  Found a different torch and got it done. 

Offline Watchmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
What solder do you guys recommend for soldered lugs? And where can I get it? My manufacture said the solder is a "High Strength Low Temp solder that is sold from Brownells" but I couldn't find anything with that name or description. Thanks for your help.

Offline Winter Hawk

NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 01:10:58 PM »
 I am nearly finished with my first real from scratch except the barrel build,now it will be back to the original Fowler with a big load of learning from all the mistakes I made and corrected( some couldn’t be and will have to be lived with!)but lessons learned,and then there is that Lyman stock that contributed the barrel and wants a Green Mountain or Colerain in .54 put into it ,why,?It just started that way,i jest don’t know why,can’t figger it out! Thanks to my wonderful loving wife I also have a collection of wood chisels and knives that I have to learn to use to carve wood,there’s a hippee over in Woodstock  N.Y. ,I hear, that might help.
 Sort of like ...addicting.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609