Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Mudball birds  (Read 1541 times)

Offline 10thumbs

• TMA Forum Member
Mudball birds
« on: March 13, 2021, 08:18:59 PM »
  Don't know if this has been posted before, but To cook a bird without tools, they can be plastered with about an inch of mud and baked in the fire. The mud cooks from the outside, sealing the moisture in. When its done (6 or 8 hours for a chicken) break the mudball. The feathers stick to the mud and the skin sticks to the feathers. The meat comes out steam-cooked and tender. And when the breast and back are separated, all the innards fall out together. Delicious!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Mudball birds
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 10:49:35 PM »
  Don't know if this has been posted before, but To cook a bird without tools, they can be plastered with about an inch of mud and baked in the fire. The mud cooks from the outside, sealing the moisture in. When its done (6 or 8 hours for a chicken) break the mudball. The feathers stick to the mud and the skin sticks to the feathers. The meat comes out steam-cooked and tender. And when the breast and back are separated, all the innards fall out together. Delicious!

Both,.... Ohio Joe, and I, have ate chicken cooked this way and enjoyed it.  :hairy  :*:  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
I've had Partridge  cooked like that. Best I've  ever tasted.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »

Both,.... Ohio Joe, and I, have ate chicken cooked this way and enjoyed it.  :hairy  :*:  :)

Indeed we have, and it was excellent! Rondo and I bestowed 1st Place on that meal when we were food judges at the Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous... Wow Rondo, that was some years back - wasn't it. Good times / great food for sure!  :hairy :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 04:51:37 PM »
i have (and still have) a good friiend from the soft coal region of central pa that said as kids, thyeyd catch Creek Chubs and do thm that way..

Personally I never tried it with fish or fowl..

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 05:12:52 PM »

Hey Rondo, if I recall - wasn't that ol' Blu and his group he ran with at Rondy that did the ol' mud chicken? I can't think of the other guys name's that always use to set up camp together? They were great fun!!! I'm kind of thinking ol' Blu was from Michigan?  :)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 04:54:36 AM »

Hey Rondo, if I recall - wasn't that ol' Blu and his group he ran with at Rondy that did the ol' mud chicken? I can't think of the other guys name's that always use to set up camp together? They were great fun!!! I'm kind of thinking ol' Blu was from Michigan?  :)
I'll be darned if I can remember Joe,.... but it was so good I'll never forget that poor ol' chicken.  :laffing   :*:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 06:56:17 PM »

I'll be darned if I can remember Joe,.... but it was so good I'll never forget that poor ol' chicken.  :laffing   :*:

but it was so good

It was good!!!  :hairy