The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

Mudball birds

(1/2) > >>

10thumbs:
  Don't know if this has been posted before, but To cook a bird without tools, they can be plastered with about an inch of mud and baked in the fire. The mud cooks from the outside, sealing the moisture in. When its done (6 or 8 hours for a chicken) break the mudball. The feathers stick to the mud and the skin sticks to the feathers. The meat comes out steam-cooked and tender. And when the breast and back are separated, all the innards fall out together. Delicious!

rollingb:

--- Quote from: 10thumbs on March 13, 2021, 08:18:59 PM ---  Don't know if this has been posted before, but To cook a bird without tools, they can be plastered with about an inch of mud and baked in the fire. The mud cooks from the outside, sealing the moisture in. When its done (6 or 8 hours for a chicken) break the mudball. The feathers stick to the mud and the skin sticks to the feathers. The meat comes out steam-cooked and tender. And when the breast and back are separated, all the innards fall out together. Delicious!

--- End quote ---

Both,.... Ohio Joe, and I, have ate chicken cooked this way and enjoyed it.  :hairy  :*:  :)

Nessmuk:
I've had Partridge  cooked like that. Best I've  ever tasted.

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: rollingb on March 13, 2021, 10:49:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: 10thumbs on March 13, 2021, 08:18:59 PM ---  Don't know if this has been posted before, but To cook a bird without tools, they can be plastered with about an inch of mud and baked in the fire. The mud cooks from the outside, sealing the moisture in. When its done (6 or 8 hours for a chicken) break the mudball. The feathers stick to the mud and the skin sticks to the feathers. The meat comes out steam-cooked and tender. And when the breast and back are separated, all the innards fall out together. Delicious!

--- End quote ---

Both,.... Ohio Joe, and I, have ate chicken cooked this way and enjoyed it.  :hairy  :*:  :)

--- End quote ---

Indeed we have, and it was excellent! Rondo and I bestowed 1st Place on that meal when we were food judges at the Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous... Wow Rondo, that was some years back - wasn't it. Good times / great food for sure!  :hairy :shake

Doc Nock:
i have (and still have) a good friiend from the soft coal region of central pa that said as kids, thyeyd catch Creek Chubs and do thm that way..

Personally I never tried it with fish or fowl..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version