Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Ardesa Spain .50 caliber pistol  (Read 1151 times)

Offline buflerhide

• TMA Forum Member
Ardesa Spain .50 caliber pistol
« on: December 03, 2021, 05:09:05 PM »
Good day to you.  I just picked up a used Ardesa Spain .50 cal handgun.  Double set triggers, 9 inch barrel.  No info with it.  Does anybody have any experience with one of these?  What size nipples does it use?  I am thinking .490 balls with a .015 patch and 30-35 grain fffg.

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
Re: Ardesa Spain .50 caliber pistol
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 05:54:33 PM »
The load you listed should work well for starters.  I believe that the Ardessa guns used a metric sized nipple the same as CVA. 

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 06:26:15 PM »
So, to be a bit more specific, the CVA, Traditions and other Spanish percussion guns typically used a 6 x 1mm nipple.
On the other hand, the other European percussion guns (Lyman, Investarms, etc. used a 6 x .75 nipple.
Then to confuse matters, some of the Pedersoli guns used 1/4 x 28.
I agree with Fyrestyk, it is probably 6 x 1.  And of course, go with stainless steel instead of blued steel.
I think your charge of 35 grains, .490 ball should work fine, but maybe you could also try 25 grains as well.  Actually, I would personally start at about 20 grains and work my way up by 5 grain increments to the tightest group.  I would also try FFg vs Fffg.  And maybe some .495 balls.  Then you can try different patch thicknesses.  It's all fun.  Of course, shoot from a rest with load development.
Do groups of three shots per each variance.  As long as you are hitting on the paper, wait until you have the group size you want, then adjust the sights.
Let us know how it all works out for you.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline buflerhide

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 08:42:13 PM »
Thanx for the quick replies gentlemen.  After a couple hours on the net I came up with mostly the same info.  It appears that Ardesa makes most of the barrels for the Tradition guns.  Nipple is M6x1mm and powder charges start at 20-25 up to a max of 45 grain pushing a .015 patch and .490 ball.   Now to order a couple ball molds and git myself up to the range and dial this Trapper in. 

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 08:23:27 AM »
Before buying molds, I suggest you buy a box each of .490 and .495 balls (https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/2) to see which works best in your pistol, then you know which mold to get.....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online KDubs

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 09:28:58 AM »
Man sounds like fun to me.  I really like developing loads , nice way to spend a day.
 Have fun and do what kees tells ya.  ;)
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High