Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: One Person Rendezvousing  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
One Person Rendezvousing
« on: April 07, 2021, 10:24:22 AM »
I always thought a simple setup like in the picture below would be ideal for just one person at a Rendezvous (and of course if they're into the Trekking...

A few years back, a couple guys shared this setup (I'm thinking they may have been with the (American Mountain Men), but I can't say for sure?

They were camped at an angle behind grandson Lucas and I (our wall tent).  Anyway, a simple set up and they were good company for sure.

This may be my setup not so far off in the near future, or I might go back to my Wedge Tent setup?

And this, IMHO, is just a bit too much for one person;

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: One Person Rendezvousing
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
I always thought a simple setup like in the picture below would be ideal for just one person at a Rendezvous (and of course if they're into the Trekking...

A few years back, a couple guys shared this setup (I'm thinking they may have been with the (American Mountain Men), but I can't say for sure?

They were camped at an angle behind grandson Lucas and I (our wall tent).  Anyway, a simple set up and they were good company for sure.

This may be my setup not so far off in the near future, or I might go back to my Wedge Tent setup?

And this, IMHO, is just a bit too much for one person;

Yes,.... the leanto in your top picture belonged to one of the AMM fellas, you (usually) won't find them sleeping under anything they can't easily pack on a horse.  :bl th up

The fella (whose leanto you have in the picture) traded me out of a .62 smoothie fowling piece.  :)

The other fella traded me out of one of my leantos,.... he planned to "gift it" to a friend of his once they got to the Nationals in Idaho.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »
Hey Joe.

IMHO you are definitely heading down the right trail. All I ever used was the oilcloth plowpoint until year before last when I caved in and got me a nice wedge. I got to use it ONCE before this damnable virus shut us all down. But, I am already getting it ready for later this year. It WILL be used...and that's a promise.

I cannot haul as much detritus as I used to. Less is more as they like to say. My wedge feels roomy and plush, but still isn't too much for me to handle.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
I'm in the process of putting one of these together, to more or less the dimensions given.  Bought a sheet set from WallyWorld (I don't remember if it was full size or queen; I think the later).  Just sewing on it on days I don't get out to do other stuff so it is going kind of slow.  I'll waterproof it per Rondo's instructions in a PM hew sent me, using turpentine and linseed oil and see what happens.

~Kees~
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
From "On Your Own in the Wilderness" by Townsend Whelan and Bradford Angier
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:56:11 PM »
Kees, I wonder if a feller could make one of those like you're making out of a "painters tarp" (white canvas)... It would probably turn a darker color after treating it I would think, or -  just dye it with cold coffee... Folgers / Max Well House - I don't think it'd make a difference... But I ain't a going to go de'caf !!!  :laffing  :shake

Rondo, I'm not sure, but did you make that trade (.62 smoothie fowling piece) about 3 or 4 years ago at the Chadron Fur Trade Rondy? For some reason I'm thinking you and Beth where down on that bend on the knoll? If so, I think I recall that.

:shake

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 04:56:24 AM »
Kees, I wonder if a feller could make one of those like you're making out of a "painters tarp" (white canvas)... It would probably turn a darker color after treating it I would think, or -  just dye it with cold coffee... Folgers / Max Well House - I don't think it'd make a difference... But I ain't a going to go de'caf !!!  :laffing  :shake

Rondo, I'm not sure, but did you make that trade (.62 smoothie fowling piece) about 3 or 4 years ago at the Chadron Fur Trade Rondy? For some reason I'm thinking you and Beth where down on that bend on the knoll? If so, I think I recall that.

:shake

Yessir!  :hairy  :*:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
I don't see why not, Joe.  It would be heavier and I'm looking for something to carry in a pack when traipsing across the countryside.  Not that I do that much anymore.  I try to put in a couple of miles of walking daily to keep me and the dogs healthy and that includes hiking in the woods around here.  "They" are putting in a system of mountain bike trails where I have stomped around for the last 15 years which has taken all the charm out for me...  ;banghead;

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 04:21:19 PM »
Kees,

Myself, I have never gotten into the trekking... I should... I have an abundance of places to do it out here where I live.

I think I will try my hand at making a leanto and play a bit with it at Rendezvous. I'll probably take the wedge tent along as well. Of course if the family decides (at the last minute - as has happened before) that some of them are going to come along,,, well,,, just have to see where that takes me.  :shake  And I'd love to see them come along!!!  :hairy

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party but FWIW this is a Nessmuk style tarp tent. It's got an awning. Harbor freight sells cotton painters drop cloths that are heavy enough to be used for the "canvas" to make a Nessmuk tent. Some brass eyelets and a few poles, some rope and wala your room is ready sir.

doggoner

[ Invalid Attachment ]
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 03:40:46 PM »
Actually, that's the Whelen lean-to tent, designed and advocated by Colonel Whelen.  The picture you show is a few pages further in "On Your Own in the Wilderness" from what I posted.  He also has a plan for a Forester tent which I had thought of making when I made the basic lean to.  Lots of canoeists use the Whelen lean-to since they can carry the greater weight easier than one can rolled up in a back pack.

I still have to waterproof what I sewed together.  I have the ingredients, just need to take the time to mix them together, set up the lean-to and paint the waterproofing on....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
My bad. Here is a picture of the Nessmuk style "shanty' tent. I think the Whelan tent is a better choice but I'm no "expert". Expert being described as "Some S.O.B type from out of town with a briefcase".

[ Invalid Attachment ]

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 12:11:34 AM »
I'll probably just stick with my small A-Frame Wedge Tent & Awning (pictured above) this year. I've had to much going on to get anything useful done in the "Rendezvous" area, and the doings will be here before I know it. As long as I have my - beer cooler, food, shade, and roof over my head - I'll be a happy camper. :laffing

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »
It's been a while since I read Nessmuk, but what I remember is that he put up a frame, then nailed the canvas to it.  Whelen's tent doesn't require carrying a bunch of nails around!   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life