Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: S&W Divesting It's T/C Firearms Brand  (Read 2333 times)

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: S&W Divesting It's T/C Firearms Brand
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 12:33:43 AM »
Unfortunately, TC is into that Inline junk. I wouldn't invest one cent in them. Just my two cents worth.  :)
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 07:40:57 AM »
I agree, Joe. TCS best years are decades in the past.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 08:25:44 AM »
I agree, Joe. TCS best years are decades in the past.

Indeed they are... It kind of puzzles me that they did indeed build one of the best traditional off the shelf muzzle loading firearms and they chose to drop that line...

Look at the Lyman GPR, aside from that potential breeching problem they had some years back (which they did correct), it's IMHO one of the absolute best traditional style muzzleloaders on the market, and it looks the part far more then the TC Hawken...

In the same breath, those TC Hawken's were stoutly built and had developed a good (if not a great reputation) as the ML to have to hunt big game with, and they did delivered... Why TC would ever drop that line is beyond me - but they did...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 10:26:03 AM »
Why TC would ever drop that line is beyond me - but they did...

I think that could be traced back to the late 1990's when they had that big fire that destroyed all their walnut stock blanks.  I doubt if they ever recovered from that.  On top of that, within a few more years, a chicken $hit outfit that so many of you love but I just despise returned about a box car full of guns and merchandise.  And then you have to add in the advertising of Bill Knight and other manufacturers who claimed the inline guns were MOA accurate at incredible distances and all the other BS they spouted.  What to do, what to do?  It's pretty easy to understand their decision making process.  Get on the bandwagon and sell inlines.  Then the kiss of death happened when S & W bought them.  HAH, and now S & W wants to divest themselves of T/C.  How funny is that?

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
If the tooling is still available to make an improved T/C side lock Hawken (Think Lyman presentation Great Plains) and or a new Seneca or Cherokee (Small Calibers popular now) I think a company could produce guns and make a small profit.  Besides T/C Contenders and Encores are also very popular.  It would give a company a traditional line of black powder guns and a modern inline version too using the Encore. 
I would love to see Henry buy up the line and produce the guns I mentioned above.  An American Company making American guns.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:20:23 PM »
The Cherokee, Seneca & Patriot tooling, along with their tech drawings/plans, were lost in that fire when the buildings burnt to the ground.
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »
Sadly, nothing has come along that has driven folks to the traditional side of muzzle loading, like in the past...

By this I mean, movies, TV shows, books, our American History being taught in today's schools, as well as our hands on history that has become common place. Seen by many, practiced by very few new comers...

The 5 minute attention span has dwindled to about a 2 second attention span unfortunately.

If it involves research, some manual labors, dirty or messy, folks today just don't want anything to do with it...

If they can shoot a traditional muzzle loader in a computer game, that's the route they will take. Hell, if it involves doing anything outdoors - they choose to stay inside.

It sure ain't the same world a whole lot of us here - grew up in...

God forbid a person has to get a little dirty and clean up their mess and their muzzleloader after shooting it...

Thank God there are still some of us left that are willing to preserve our history, and try to pass it on.

I doubt we'll ever see another Thompson Center in America...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »
Joe,
I sure don't like hearing what you had to say there.
But I agree totally with you.
John (bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 04:31:58 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I was drawn into black powder because the state, Alabama, which had previously been buck only, started letting people kill either sex deer on the management areas with black powder rifles during special hunts, this was in the early 70s. We all flocked to the gun stores to buy us a TC for the most part. Being beginning hunters who seldom killed a buck we would now stand a good chance of putting meat in the freezer, and we did.

I actually went to one of those plastic stocked unmentionables for a number of years but went back to my roots about 20 years ago, even building most of my own guns in the last 10 years. I still have a couple of nice TCs, one kit gun I used my new found gun building skills to make something special out of a very old Hawken kit, I also have a TC Hawken with a brand new GM round ball barrel. Finding the barrel a year ago was like finding a unicorn, way to much money but I wanted one.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 08:57:04 PM »

Ditto, Eric - I was first drawn to muzzleloading in the early 70's so I could hunt whitetails in my state's new deer season.

When the deer hunting here was first opened, hunters were limited to a smoothbore - for which I bought a (new) T/C 56SB Renegade.

Even today, I still use my .45 T/C Seneca...………
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 09:19:22 PM »
Ohio Joe, it's sad to say, but your last post summed it up perfectly. "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 01:50:51 AM »
Ohio Joe, it's sad to say, but your last post summed it up perfectly. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Indeed! :bow

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 09:21:28 PM »
"I go Pogo...."   :bigsmile:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 09:25:22 AM »
I have nightmares about plastic-stocked firearms.  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend