Craftsmanship > Hawks and Knives

Finished Making A Patch Knife

(1/2) > >>

PetahW:

I have an extra replacement pruner blade on hand, and Kdub inspired me to make a patch knife, as I suggested in an earlier thread.

I think it will do just fine as a patch knife, since it's flat on one side, with an edge bevel on the other.

This is the $3 pruner blade, I started with:

The 1st thing I did was to rough cut it (hacksaw) for a tang:

The 2nd thing was to mark it for grinding into a usable tang:

Then, it was a matter of grinding away the excess material:

I had some fancy Walnut left over from another project, that I'll use for the handle: 

I haven't yet decided whether or not to flatten the hump on the blade's spine...…… (to be continued)

(continued)

I epoxied the scales to the tang in preparation for shaping/sanding/finishing them

I made a temporary leather safety guard for the blade; AND decided to add a brass PRB short-starter to the hilt

With the short-starter integral with the patch knife, it eliminates having to short start the ball with one tool, then switching tools to the patch knife  (handy if I'm getting rushed by a Squirrel)

I still have to complete the wood finishing, but it's essentially done.

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote ---Then, it was a matter of grinding away the excess material:
--- End quote ---

From what I've heard, that is a good way to make a knife.  Start out with a piece of metal and grind away everything that isn't a knife blade. :luff:

Looking good so far, I cannot wait to see how it all turns out.   :bow  Sure better than I have ever done.

John (Bigsmoke)

KDubs:
Well I'm glad I could inspire somebody :bigsmile:
 Looks good,  I've power washing and sealing my log home so all my little side projects have been on hold.
 Keep on keeping on
 Kevin

Ohio Joe:
That's a pretty darn good idea with the pruner blade. The holes are already there for finishing the handle, you can grind that metal down as thin as you want... Great idea for sure!!!  :hairy

PetahW:

T Y, all !   :toast

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version