The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

Whelen Style Lean-to

(1/2) > >>

Winter Hawk:
I've been putting off making one, although I got a queen sized sheet set for the fabric quite a while ago.  This past Winter I decided I really had to get it made; even bought a 1956 Singer 99 sewing machine and a hand crank for it so I could get this done.  Well, the Singer was to replace the modern machine I have.  It has lots of bells and whistles but I always have problems using it.  The "new" one is like what my Mom taught me to use, many years ago.  I had to refurbish it using instructions I got on line, while the hand crank is from China and needed some work done to be reliable but now it works like a charm.  Straight stitch only, of course, but that makes this cast iron beauty exactly what I need.

Anyway, I cut out the pieces for the lean-to, hemmed them, sewed them together, folded it up and didn't go any further.   Well, the other day I got 2 quarts of turpentine and shaved in a bunch of wax I had on hand, per Colonel Whelen's  instructions for waterproofing.  I set the coffee can I used for my mixing bowl outside (with the lid on) where the sun could get to it to warm it up.  The next morning all the wax had dissolved so I didn't need to heat this very flammable mixture.  I set up the shelter using a couple of walking sticks I made and painted the waterproofing on.  After several days I brought it into the garage and draped it over the canoe frame to finish drying.

AS the photos show, I have a couple of refinements to make.  First, the top sheet which I used was wider than the 6' recommended.  However, I thought the excess would make a good awning if I left it, or with it at the bottom of the shelter it would be a dandy sod cloth.  The only problem with this is that it blocks the grommets if I want to tie the top to a ridge pole.  The second problem shows clearly on the photos, that somehow the sides pull the middle of the top edge down so the whole thing is bowed.  Now my thinking is to cut the flap off and hem the edge, remove the sides, then use the excess material to add a triangular filler between the side and top.  Otherwise I can just leave the sides off, but what fun would that be?  :laughing

Okay, photos:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

~Kees~

KDubs:
That's cool. :hairy
Kevin

rollingb:

I'd sleep under it!  :hairy  :*:  :)

Ohio Joe:
That looks great, Kees!!!  :hairy

Hank in WV:
If you would want to tie to a ridge pole, get two short pieces of rope, tie a knot in one end and stick up through the grommet and tie to the pole. If I'm understanding your problem right, that should work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version