Traditional Firearms > Cannons

1862 Gatling Gun

(1/2) > >>

Ohio Joe:
Not a muzzle loader - but still interesting; I posted this here because it's a carriage gun...

Yesterday, my family and I were out at Ft. Robinson State Park (here in NW Nebraska), and they had a small reenactment of Cavalry and Support Troops (not very many do to the weather) out there with a Gatling Gun.

They were shooting black powder blanks with it on the old Parade Grounds (where the Cheyenne Outbreak took place (1879), and where Crazy Horse was killed (1877)... [Hank in WV, you're familiar with this area]. The Gatling Gun did jam quite a bit, (I think because of the use of black powder blanks), but it was still interesting to watch, and you could sure smell that burnt black powder...

I didn't take a camera with me but the picture below is what it looked like (1862 Gatling Gun)...

KDubs:
Wonder if that would be legal for elk??
 Cool gun, I've seen a few in action at Gettysburg and they jammed often too. 
 Kevin

Winter Hawk:
Cool!  And to think, the principal is still being used today in the Warthog.

~Kees~

Hank in WV:
Joe, I do remember it well. Our private tour of the grounds was one of the highlights of that trip.

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Hank in WV on June 27, 2021, 05:53:37 PM ---Joe, I do remember it well. Our private tour of the grounds was one of the highlights of that trip.

--- End quote ---

Yes it was a great tour!  When Randy came over to the buildings after putting up the flag, then unlocked the buildings for us, and proceeded to give us (you, grandson Lucas, and myself) that tour,,, that was simply fantastic - and I've no doubt very factual. He really made you feel like you were right there when Crazy Horse was killed. Amazing.

And you got a bonus being able to examine that original desk from the time period. We certainly had some good times that morning!  :shake

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version