Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Questions on refinishing a Lyman GPR  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Questions on refinishing a Lyman GPR
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
Kees, I wonder if your stock is made from Black Walnut?

I say this because my .50 cal GPR has a real dark stock that I stained with "water based crystals powder" of Red Walnut stain... If your stock is in fact "black walnut" you may never get it any lighter then what it is already? as mine almost appears to be black.

:shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »
Kees, I wonder if your stock is made from Black Walnut?

It looks like it might be Black Walnut to me, although that is an American wood so why would the Italians be making stocks out of it?  Anyway, it is hanging in its place of glory and I'm not doing more to it except for the front sight dilemma.  I may even take it out and shoot it off & on!

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time our American Forrest were opened up to international trade. In fact, I think it was back in the late '80s - 90's, I watch a show about that. I think the American logging companies were taking it in the shorts being limited to what they could cut, while an international group got a better deal and regulations on cutting / harvesting limits.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
 :hairy

You're absolutely right, Joe
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »
Kees, are we going to see some pictures??   :bigsmile:

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
Kees, are we going to see some pictures??

When the weather cooperates so I can take some photos outside.  But it doesn't really look much different than what the photos from Lyman show!

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 01:56:16 AM »
Kees,
 I just ran into this post,I believe that these Lyman stocks are American black walnut or, a dark version of European walnut I don’t know of,I always assumed they were American Walnut in the past but never thought about that they are made “over there” which is something to think about,either or , I don’t believe there is much stain to remove,the best you could do is use wood bleach and see what happens.The Lyman stock I have is really dark also and sits waiting for a barrel of undetermined cal. ,probably.54, can’t go much bigger with 15/16” you could always try making  a new front sight with a wider or longer base for it by silver soldering  one together using brass or copper I’ve made a couple using old keys  and a newer one using a homemade copper base with a brass insert for a blade ,you can buy a base on track of the wolf maybe oversized?,I just do things the hard way sometimes, [ Invalid Attachment ]  I may make a prettier one later but I kinda of like it’s crude look for now

I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 01:57:28 AM »
Did you ever take pictures?

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 08:06:20 AM »
No photos, and it's a moot point now since the Wife didn't like the GPR so I pedaled it for funds to get another T-C Pennsylvania Hunter to replace the one I sold to John to buy the GPR to hang on the wall....  :Doh!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 08:37:32 AM »
Kees,
 I just ran into this post,I believe that these Lyman stocks are American black walnut or, a dark version of European walnut I don’t know of,I always assumed they were American Walnut in the past but never thought about that they are made “over there” which is something to think about,either or , I don’t believe there is much stain to remove,the best you could do is use wood bleach and see what happens.The Lyman stock I have is really dark also and sits waiting for a barrel of undetermined cal. ,probably.54, can’t go much bigger with 15/16” you could always try making  a new front sight with a wider or longer base for it by silver soldering  one together using brass or copper I’ve made a couple using old keys  and a newer one using a homemade copper base with a brass insert for a blade ,you can buy a base on track of the wolf maybe oversized?,I just do things the hard way sometimes, [ Invalid Attachment ]  I may make a prettier one later but I kinda of like it’s crude look for now

That's not a bad looking sight - it can always be dressed up. I prefer to make my own fixed rear & front sights as I figure the time waiting for and the money spent to get a new set of sights - heck, I can make them myself. The more you make - the better they get - as you learn from one set to the next.  :bl th up

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 09:05:36 AM »
Thank you ,Joe! My wife also bases her thoughts on keeping a firearm on wether it’s good looking!I sold a rifle to get funds for a gift for her once she made me go buy it back! The guy ,a dealer,understood and added no profit to it but had to run a NICS check with no charge on me!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 09:55:39 AM »
Thank you ,Joe! My wife also bases her thoughts on keeping a firearm on wether it’s good looking!I sold a rifle to get funds for a gift for her once she made me go buy it back! The guy ,a dealer,understood and added no profit to it but had to run a NICS check with no charge on me!

:bl th up  :shake

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2021, 04:53:34 PM »
My wife never had any input on what kind of gun I did or didn't buy, she just didn't care. She "was" (cancer 8 years ago) an archery gal and was very particular about what kind of bow and arrows she wanted me to make for her, I kept her well supplied.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2021, 10:12:30 PM »
A pretty smart move, I'd say... :bl th up
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell