Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 55 grain fixed measure  (Read 3646 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: 55 grain fixed measure
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 11:58:57 PM »
AHA Huzzah.

At this stage it'd be cheaper to accept Kevin's offer, but I want to learn how to do this! Then *I* can be the one to making powder measures.
Thanks for the help!!

Just a bit of advice,.... use your adjustable powder measure to work up the best performing load in your rifle, or, smoothbore, then make your non-adjustable powder measure so it will hold that exact amount.  :bl th up

Working up the ideal load can usually be done in 5 gr. increments when using black powder, then you can start tweeking your load by experimenting with ball sizes, and different patch materials and lubes.

keep increasing your powder charge when working up a good load until your groups start to open up, then back off on the powder charge a bit, and you should be pretty close to the proper charge for your gun. 

The goal is to find the best load combination for your gun,.... that produces tight groups at various ranges, with the least amount of bore fouling, and provides adequate velocity for stable flight (and penetration when working up a hunting load):bl th up

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2021, 05:25:51 AM »
It's literally imperative to have an adjustable measure in order to sample different volume charges for any gun - that's the road to a proper fixed measure.

I'd Never buy a fixed measure, a waste of money as they're too easy to make and/or find.  Any range where those damn devil cartridge guns are shot will have spent brass ready for the picking.  Take at least 3 or 4 of all centerfire cases found, clean/wash and dry, check each for volume capacity and adjust their length to suit with a hacksaw blade or tube cutter. 

The main charge for my .62 smoothbore is 70 grains of Swiss 1-1/2f and a .45-70 case is perfect when topped off.  The .45-70 will not be a common case to find, but any large case such as the .30-06 and any .308 family brass will be just fine when adjusted.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

A 7/16" drill bit and a chunk of wood will also make for a good fixed measure, or even a "speed loader"!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2021, 08:21:32 AM »
Yes to the above, and don't worry if one of your "fixed" measures ends up 1 or 2 grains above or below the charge you want to throw - it will still get the job done, and chances are when loading from the bag you'll never throw the same charge with absolute consistency.

Also IMHO, an adjustable powder measure in 5 grain settings is the best and a must to have when making your own "fixed powder measures" - get one and don't look back and start making your own measures. It's a long ways from rocket science.

:shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2021, 09:06:24 AM »
Lots of choices here, some good advice.
 Just get out in the shop and start making s!%t.
 As said , it it ain't rocket surgery :luff:
 I'll still make you a couple copper ones if you want.  You can cut them to length when you figure out the charges you want.
 By the way, an antler or horn tip charge is pretty easy too. YouTube....
 Just start tinkering. If you make horn to deep just add a drop or 3 of beeswax to fill the bottom to adjust the charge.
  :hairy
Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »
Here's a powder measure I made from a cartridge case (don't remember what it was, though).  I drilled out the primer pocket and ran a brass screw down through it, into a brass knurled nut I picked up at the hardware store.  Tightened it down good and solid, filled it with a charge from my adjustable measure, used a pencil to determine the depth and cut it with a tubing cutter.  It throws a charge of, wonder above wonders, 55 grains, more or less!  The knurled nut made a dandy place to tie a thong to attach it to your shooting bag or powder horn.

I haven't used it in a long time, it's yours if you want it, just PM me your address and it's on its way.

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline KDubs

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2021, 11:49:29 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Here's a few I just made up.
 Kees, I really like that measure, gives me some inspiration it does.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2021, 10:22:31 AM »

Kees, that right there, is a work of art  ! !   :hairy
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »
You guys are too nice!  It's just a .30-30 case (I believe) gussied up a bit, but thank you for the kind words.  :shake

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2021, 06:38:27 PM »
You guys are too nice!

NOT ! !

IMO, your offer to gift your measure is blessed.... :applaud
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »
I like those measures using a brass screw.  I make them out of brass cases and use a very small eye screw to epoxy into the primer hole.  Before that I grind off the rim and give the head a smooth, rounded shape.  Doesn't look as good as Winter Hawk's but they haven't made anyone throw-up from seeing them yet.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »
Well, if I had thought of a brass screw eye I probably would have done that and not what I did!

But Hanshi, you know that without pictures, it didn't really happen... Just saying.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life