Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Better than a .310 round ball  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
Better than a .310 round ball
« on: August 27, 2021, 05:00:44 PM »
I have a TVM flint 38 inch round rifling 1/48 and I also have a bunch of .32 maxi balls. Would the maxi's work ok in round rifling.
I just so happen to  have a Muzzle loading Quota permit for 9/11 - 9/13. I am considering using it instead of .50 GPR flint or
one of my other flint/percussion guns. Max load I would use is 40gr fff (per Rice barrel chart). South Florida shot would be no more than 50yds (if that).
I have not tried the gun with Maxi's at range yet. Think the Maxi's will  do ok? 

USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Better than a .310 round ball
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
I have a TVM flint 38 inch round rifling 1/48 and I also have a bunch of .32 maxi balls. Would the maxi's work ok in round rifling.
I just so happen to  have a Muzzle loading Quota permit for 9/11 - 9/13. I am considering using it instead of .50 GPR flint or
one of my other flint/percussion guns. Max load I would use is 40gr fff (per Rice barrel chart). South Florida shot would be no more than 50yds (if that).
I have not tried the gun with Maxi's at range yet. Think the Maxi's will  do ok? 

I think you'll just have to load it and find out if they will work, and then let us know.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 03:43:13 PM »
I also own a .32 radius groove flintlock, 1-48" twist.  The grooves of these Rice barrels run about .016" deep.  They are designed for round patched ball.  I would suspect performance with maxies would be disappointing as the deep grooves wouldn't be completely filled by the bullet like they would by a patched ball.

But with that being said it still may be possible to come up with an accurate load.  Yes, all you can do is try it and see.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »
What I know about small caliber guns and elongated projectiles wouldn't even fill a small thimble.
But it seems to me that a reasonable powder charge would not be enough to get it going fast enough to stabilize.  And starting it down a barrel with .016" deep rifling would cause additional problems, such as gas leakage and barrel leading.
Also, is the .32 rifle even legal for your hunt?
My personal advice would be to use a different rifle.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 03:33:57 PM »
I'll second what Bigsmoke said.  :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
It’s a small caliber with problems besides,it would not be legal where I live.If you found a bullet in the right caliber with a hollow base that would expand properly. But still it’s simply not a very capable rifle for deer,it’s not a sure enough killer in my eyes.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
A good way to use up those .32 Maxi's would be to melt them down and pour some round ball out of them.  You would probably increase the number of shots from that exercise by about 1 1/2 times.

It is said that a poacher's favorite gun is a .22.  But those are typically eye shots.  If you feel "eye competent", I guess the .32 would work.
But in actuality, the .32 is more of a squirrel gun than a deer gun.  Besides, it probably is not legal anywhere for deer.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life