Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Better than a .310 round ball

(1/2) > >>

Swamppanther:
I have a TVM flint 38 inch round rifling 1/48 and I also have a bunch of .32 maxi balls. Would the maxi's work ok in round rifling.
I just so happen to  have a Muzzle loading Quota permit for 9/11 - 9/13. I am considering using it instead of .50 GPR flint or
one of my other flint/percussion guns. Max load I would use is 40gr fff (per Rice barrel chart). South Florida shot would be no more than 50yds (if that).
I have not tried the gun with Maxi's at range yet. Think the Maxi's will  do ok? 

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Swamppanther on August 27, 2021, 05:00:44 PM ---I have a TVM flint 38 inch round rifling 1/48 and I also have a bunch of .32 maxi balls. Would the maxi's work ok in round rifling.
I just so happen to  have a Muzzle loading Quota permit for 9/11 - 9/13. I am considering using it instead of .50 GPR flint or
one of my other flint/percussion guns. Max load I would use is 40gr fff (per Rice barrel chart). South Florida shot would be no more than 50yds (if that).
I have not tried the gun with Maxi's at range yet. Think the Maxi's will  do ok? 

--- End quote ---

I think you'll just have to load it and find out if they will work, and then let us know.  :shake

Hanshi:
I also own a .32 radius groove flintlock, 1-48" twist.  The grooves of these Rice barrels run about .016" deep.  They are designed for round patched ball.  I would suspect performance with maxies would be disappointing as the deep grooves wouldn't be completely filled by the bullet like they would by a patched ball.

But with that being said it still may be possible to come up with an accurate load.  Yes, all you can do is try it and see.

Bigsmoke:
What I know about small caliber guns and elongated projectiles wouldn't even fill a small thimble.
But it seems to me that a reasonable powder charge would not be enough to get it going fast enough to stabilize.  And starting it down a barrel with .016" deep rifling would cause additional problems, such as gas leakage and barrel leading.
Also, is the .32 rifle even legal for your hunt?
My personal advice would be to use a different rifle.

John (Bigsmoke)

Hanshi:
I'll second what Bigsmoke said.  :hairy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version