Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Please recommend a punch for making patches  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Please recommend a punch for making patches
« on: September 08, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »
Instead of ordering pre cut patches, I want to try making my own from pillow ticking.
I need suggestions. What do you use to punch or cut out the circles?
Thanks.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Please recommend a punch for making patches
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 05:12:26 PM »
It's not what you're asking for, but I've used a rotary cutter (Fiskars) for years. It makes square patches instead of round but the rifle doesn't seem to care.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 05:54:26 PM »
Buy a cheap set of hole saws from Harbor Freight.  Grind off the teeth, then sharpen the edge with a file.  Put several layers of your patch material over a soft board, chuck the hole saw in your drill and start cutting patches.  You can cut hundreds of patches in just a few minutes.  resharpen the hole saw as needed.

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »
... Or maybe I should cut the patch at the muzzle instead of buying more stuff. Worth a try maybe.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
Lot's of folks do cut their patches at the muzzle, nothing wrong with that. As Hank said, square patches will work just fine as well as a round one. Harbor Freight probably has some 1" to 1-1/4" round punches that would work. You could also check company's that deal in canvas (tent pole rings) as they'd have to punch through the canvas for the eyelet / grommet to be installed. Good luck!  :shake

Here's a link, but I feel there are better ones out there;

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-1271O-Punch-4-Inches/dp/B000189UCU/ref=psdc_2225054011_t1_B0051UXY2U

NOTE: I would prefer this shape in the following link;

https://www.amazon.com/C-S-Osborne-Arch-Punch-Tool/dp/B002FCMCSE/ref=pd_di_sccai_3/141-3085847-9704003?pd_rd_w=W23we&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=7H8QWSJRR3P5EKMAR8XE&pd_rd_r=b6907728-190d-4d87-b0bf-4cdfd2c40f65&pd_rd_wg=l5UHC&pd_rd_i=B01FT2E9ZK&psc=1

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 10:59:46 PM »
A lever type paper cutter makes square patches quickly.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 11:00:05 AM »
All good suggestions. Ohio Joe's idea is closest to what I'm thinking. It's a close second to just cutting at the muzzle.

Online KDubs

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 08:52:21 AM »
Any special reason you want pre cut vs cut at the muzzle.
Lubed patches for hunting perhaps .
 I carry a small pre lube gatofeo strip for that.
 CATM just seems easier.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 09:33:05 AM »
Just my thoughts (don't know the original Poster's thoughts), but a precut lubed patch holding a ball in a ball block does make for a much faster reload in a hunting situation,,, and if you should find yourself in a competition where reloading fast is required (such as a post shoot -or- a timed event of some kind) - where every second saved on your reload may come into play.  :shake

And of course, just the convenience of it...

:shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »
Any special reason you want pre cut vs cut at the muzzle.

I'm experimenting with different methods. I'm tired of waiting for my order of pre made patches to show up in the mail. I'd rather try making my own. Other  than that, I have not decided whether one method bests another. 

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 05:59:59 PM »
Well Smokey, I guess you'll just have try them all and pick the one that works best for you. Part of the fun. :bl th up
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 11:23:08 PM »
I buy pillow ticking at JoAnne's then rip it into 1 1/2" strips.  I pre-lube these with whatever is my preferred lubricant at the moment, or just leave them plain for spit patch and cut at the muzzle.  Recently I have been cutting some of the strips into 1 1/2" square patches which may be too large and bunch up when ramming the ball down, but accuracy seems to be the same.

I have had a couple of rifles with coned muzzles and cutting at the muzzle didn't work too well; while cutting the material I would invariably pull the ball out of the barrel with the knife.  Pre-cut patches were necessary in that instance.

I also get flannel material from the same source and cut square cleaning patches from it.  sure is cheaper than buying commercial patches!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
Precut and lubed patches is an in between load process that's neither slow nor fast.

Once my quick loading ball boards run empty I'll resort to either refilling the boards or load off patch strips at the muzzle.

It's all good, no matter how ya load yer smoke pole.   :bl th up

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 08:27:09 AM »
Precut and lubed patches is an in between load process that's neither slow nor fast.

Mostly, consistency has been the benefit that I enjoyed with pre cut patches. Patches allow for the same size piece of cloth going down the barrel each time. 

One the other hand, pre cut patches can be awkward, especially when loading from the bag. Open the tin, grab a patch without spilling the others. oop. Now those two are stuck together . . .    AND I dropped the patch.

The goal is consistency and simplicity. Speed will follow.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 09:58:47 AM »

... Patches allow for the same size piece of cloth going down the barrel each time.  ...

So does cutting patch strips from the same BOLT of cloth - this insures that ALL patches cut at the muzzle or ball board are not only from the same cloth lot thickness, but also of a very proper diameter.  This is why some of us by patch material from cloth shops, right off the bolt.  I buy at least 5 yards and that insures my patch load consistency for a few years. ;)